U CANN2 Report from the Kids First Health Fair Book Room 2010

0 weergaven
Naar het eerste ongelezen bericht

Sam Piro

ongelezen,
11 aug 2010, 19:44:1711-08-2010
aan U CANN2 Members

U CANN2 Report from the Kids First Health Fair Book Room 2010

Early Crew.jpg

The 18th Annual Kids 1st Health Fair was held last Wednesday, August 4, at the Miguel Juarez School in Waukegan.  A couple of months ago the health fair organizers approached U CANN2 and asked us to take complete responsibility for the Book Room.  We accepted.

The entire team rose to the task.  We organized a book drive, stationing collection bins at various merchants.  We also received generous donations from W. W. Grainger Inc., Tenneco Inc., The Howard Family, JRS Distribution Company, The Book Stall at Chestnut Court, Friends of the Highland Park Library and Random House Children's Books.  We were able to gather almost 3,500 books.

Then we were approached by Brian Floriani of Bernie’s Book Bank.  The book bank pledged enough books to give each child at the fair six books.  Brian also gave us invaluable logistical advice.  To find out more about Bernie’s Book Bank, or to make a donation to the worthy cause, visit www.berniesbookbank.org .

HS Table.jpgDozens of volunteers worked sorting and bagging books before the fair.  On the day of the fair another 18 volunteers worked in three shifts to distribute about 8,200 books to approximately 1,500 children.  It was truly a wonderful day!  The children were very excited to receive the books after a long day of medical exams and shots.  They obviously love the gift of reading.

This event was a first for us and it went very smoothly from the first day to the last.  Everyone played a critical role and we couldn’t have done without the entire team.  Special thanks to Sandi Gore who spearheaded this effort and acted a liaison to the Health Fair organizers.  The core team consisted of Susan Gottlieb, Jackie and Gary Cohen, Marianne Wood, Marcia Denberg, Linda Randall, Kathy Gallo, Priscilla Sperling, Sandi Gore and me.

We are already planning for and looking forward to next year!

Kids 1st Health Fair is a one-day, one-stop health fair to prepare children of limited income families living in Lake County for school.  Kids get their immunizations, lead tests, physicals, dental screenings and TB tests.  The event is sponsored by Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, the United Way of Lake County, and the Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center

As always,

Sam Piro

U CANN2

samp...@comcast.net