The 18th Annual Kids 1st Health Fair & U CANN2 - Needs You!

Sam Piro

May 27, 2010, 11:13:37 PM5/27/10
to U CANN2 Members

Wednesday, August 4 at the Miguel Juarez School in Waukegan

For those of you who were not able to participate last year, Kids 1st is a one-day, one-stop health fair to prepare children of limited income families living in Lake County for school.  Kids get their immunizations, lead tests, physicals, dental screenings and TB tests.

Nearly 30 UCANN2 volunteers assisted with non-medical services during the fair last year.  (There were almost 800 volunteers total.)  We all said it was a very rewarding experience and decided we wanted the opportunity to volunteer in 2010.

Last week Sandi Gore got in touch with Lynn Tracey of United Way to let her know we were ready to sign up again this year.  Lynn asked if U CANN2 would consider a very important task: complete responsibility for the Book Room.  This is where the children receive free, age-appropriate (new and gently used) books.  We would be responsible for:

·         Securing and collecting about 4000 books

·         Delivering and sorting the books Tuesday, August 3

·         Staffing the Book Room, boxing up remaining books,  Wednesday, August 4

·         Preparing a written report on the experience

As you can see, this is no small task… with only 2 months to get it done.

U CANN2 can take on this important part of the health fair ONLY if we have a large group of volunteers willing to commit.  Please take a minute to answer these important questions:

1.      Can you commit to working on this for the next 2 months

2.      Do you have any experience with book drives?  Soliciting public libraries, bookstores, book warehouses for book donations?  Asking corporations (such as Target, Walgreens, etc.) for book donations?

3.      Do you know anyone with experience who could help with this project?

Please email Sandi (scg...@comcast.net), or me, to let us know if you can commit, or if you have any questions.  We would be happy to talk to you.  We want to give the United Way our answer right after the holiday weekend.

Thanks as always,

Sam Piro

U CANN2

samp...@comcast.net

This event is sponsored by Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, the United Way of Lake County, and the Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center