Help!: apt-get Behind MS ISA Sever

Maleeq

Jul 3, 2009, 4:06:39 AM7/3/09
to ubuntunigeria
Hi guys,

At work, we work behind a microsoft ISA server as proxy. Now, I can
browse via firefox by setting the proxy details and all, but I just
cant get synaptic package manager or apt-get to work.

I have followed numerous tips sourced from the internet on how to
resolve this, like adding entries into the "/ect/apt/apt.conf.d/
proxy" I have even installed and configured NTLMAPS but still I get
the error:

407 Proxy Authentication Required (The ISA Server requires
authorization to fulfill the request. Access to the web Proxy service
is denied.)

Has anyone successfully configured this?

Bobby

Jul 3, 2009, 6:35:42 AM7/3/09
to ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
we use squid proxy here at work and synaptic works fine with it. Just go to (from synaptic ) settings,preference,network and put ur proxy settings. That should work fine. for a more integrated proxy settings for gnome (so that must gnome apps use proxy by default, just go to (from your gnome top panel, ) system/preference/network proxy then put in ur proxy config

If u want to use proxy with commandline utilities like wget and apt-get u need to add ur proxy varable to ur .bashrc to do this . go to ur home folder and press ctrl + h to see hidden files (files that have . Infornt of their name) look for a file called .bashrc open it at the end of the file add ur proxy varable uses the following format.

export http_proxy=http://proxyaddress:proxy port

e.g

export http_proxy=http://proxy.aust-abuja.org:3128

once u have done this. Save and close the text editor. Now to start using the proxy setting just open terminal (applications/accessories/terminal) and run the follwing command

. .bashrc

Be sure to undo the above settings once u are outside ur work place underwise u wont be able to access the web

Hope this was helpful cheers

Sent from my Nokia phone

Nnamdi Zobeashia

Jul 3, 2009, 10:29:38 AM7/3/09
to ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
Hey brovar thats a great tutorial dere hope that works for u man any ISA server just some lousy proxy server anyway from look of thin the tutorial shud help wud check out d web for more stuffs i can imagine hw annoying it is anyway try it first pls dont fail to keep intouch easy everyone

Maleeq

Jul 4, 2009, 3:35:50 PM7/4/09
to ubuntunigeria
Thanks man,

I followed the procedure described above and still am I having the
same authentication error...no matter what I try.

I must mention that is does work behind an ISA server that does not
require authentication just following the steps described above.
However, it bumps out in the error when authentication is required at
the ISA.

For the export statements this time, this is what I entered:

export http_proxy=http://maleeq:password@myproxy:8080

I picked that tip from my numerous searches on the ubuntu forum.

A lot of people have reported success in authentication only after
installing and configuring NTLMAPS, but nothing for me o.

I'll keep trying and let u guys know whats up or come back here
sreaming HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP some more! :D