Help! Set Screen Resolution to 1280x1024

Maleeq

Mar 4, 2009, 3:03:13 AM3/4/09
to ubuntunigeria
Hi,

I just got an external 17" LCD monitor. The issue I am faced with here
is getting the screen resolution set to 1280x1024, which is the native
resolution of the display. The maximum I can set is 1024x768 using
"preference -> screen resolution"

I have googled, searched and tried so many suggestions that I fear I
may have messed something up on my system but still, no luck changing
the resolution.

This is the output I get from running "lspci | grep VGA" :

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/
910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Any pointer would be appreciated.

Cheers!

nucco

Mar 4, 2009, 4:36:10 AM3/4/09
to ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
What distro and version are you using? Are you trying to use
dual-screens? Do you have compiz enabled? What's the monitor brand?

Will be better able to suggest an approach based on this information.

Maleeq

Mar 5, 2009, 10:20:30 AM3/5/09
to ubuntunigeria
Hi,

I am on Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop.

Yes, I am (I have succeeded) trying to using dual screen, with the
display extended (not mirrored).

Now that you mentioned it, before attempting to using dual monitor,
compiz was up and running. Now, when I try enabling it, they screen
warbles for some seconds with a message "Searching for suitable
driver..." After that, it tells me failed to enable. So, currently, I
have dual screens without ANY desktop effect :(.

The Monitor brand and model : HP L1706 (Product No.: PX849A, Model
No: HSTND-2F02)

Cheers!

On Mar 4, 10:36 am, nucco <afane...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What distro and version are you using? Are you trying to use
> dual-screens? Do you have compiz enabled? What's the monitor brand?
>
> Will be better able to suggest an approach based on this information.

nucco

Mar 5, 2009, 3:31:39 PM3/5/09
to ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
I assume you have an intel card. You practically can't have dual
screens and desktop effects on an intel card. Additionally, try to
rename your xorg.conf and then restart x. See if it behaves better.
I've not got access to a pc so i can't really troubleshoot or research
much
--
Sent from my mobile device