Ubuntu 9.04: Upgrade or Clean Installation?

Maleeq

Apr 24, 2009, 5:10:11 AM4/24/09
to ubuntunigeria
Hi fellas,

I laid my hands on the Jaunty Jackalope yesterday but paused before
the installation. Currently on 8.10, I am faced with the question:
Should I perform an upgrade to my 8.10 or just simply do a clean
installation of 9.04?

Are there any relative advantage/disadvantages? and which one would u
recommend?

Cheers!

Nnamdi Zobeashia

Apr 24, 2009, 5:51:50 AM4/24/09
to ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
Hey thats nice but truly dey but seem to be the same to me cos i ones
did it from 7.10 gusty to 8.04 hardy wiped everything including my
codecs so i thnk there are any differences the only luck i had was
that i created a /home partition in gusty so mu person files were not
touch or destroyed. Make sure u do a backup before doing thing later
--
Zobeashia Nnamdi aka Pradeep

Fanen A.

Apr 24, 2009, 11:42:33 AM4/24/09
to ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
Whether or not you have a separate home partition, upgrading will not
touch your data, whereas a clean install will.
--
Sent from my mobile device

Bobby

Apr 24, 2009, 12:56:56 PM4/24/09
to ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
Although some people do upgrade but its always advisable to do a clean install. The advantages of upgrading is that you dont get to do much setup, mostly packages from the previous version are upgraded to the newer release. so must of your files and system setup is maintained. the down side is that bad things do happen, especially if you have compiled or installed packages outside of the ubuntu repository and or if you had to rely on things like restricted drivers or ndiswraaper to get say wireless to work.

Best practice though ( and which is recommended by ubuntu) is to do a clean install. That way you start on a fresh slate. to make things easier  if u have a seperate home directory i.e the /home is mounted on a separate partition then most of your current settings would still be just as it were in the last release. since you would be using the same home partition when installing ubuntu 9.04.
 the down side of clean install is of cause the setting up of the system which can be a pain depending on how much setup goes into your computer (matter of taste really)

if you do decide to do an upgrade then you can use this as a guide http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading .

another downside of upgrading is that you need to have a very good internet connection for it to go smooth, so if you are on broadband. that fine its easy. you can also use the alternate cd of ubuntu 9.04 to upgrade.

Fanen Ahua

Apr 29, 2009, 6:34:10 AM4/29/09
to ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
Hey Bobby,
Have you used the new Ubuntu? What is your rating? I have severe internet access shortage nowadays, so I can't even dream of downloading it, let alone installing it, since it will take forever to get back my codecs and useful productive software.

picFanen Ahua
Random quote: No animal should ever jump on the dining room furniture unless absolutely certain he can hold his own in conversation. -- Fran Lebowitz

Bobby

Apr 29, 2009, 7:04:06 AM4/29/09
to ubuntu...@googlegroups.com