HOWTO: Compile Pidgin 2.3.1 for Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

1 view

Darth Chaos

Jan 5, 2008, 10:18:43 PM1/5/08
to ULUG (Ubuntu Linux Users Group)
1. In the console, sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev libxml2-dev
gettext libnss-dev libnspr-dev libgtkspell

2. While still in the console, wget
http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/pidgin/pidgin-2.3.1.tar.bz2

3. tar xvfj pidgin-2.3.1.tar.bz2

4. cd pidgin-2.3.1

5. ./configure

6. make

7. sudo make install

If you wish to make a Debian (.DEB) package, do the next steps while
still in the Pidgin source directory:

1. sudo apt-get install checkinstall

2. sudo checkinstall -D

I did the folliwing steps and successfully managed to install Pidgin
on Ubuntu 7.04 and make a .DEB. I used "Pidgin Internet Messenger
compiled for Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn" as the description, and 2.3.1-
ubuntu7.04 as the version number.

Darth Chaos

Jan 5, 2008, 11:06:53 PM1/5/08
to ULUG (Ubuntu Linux Users Group)
Taken from http://jhcore.com/2007/06/04/install-pidgin-in-ubuntu/

For those who are facing problems with checkinstall trying to
overwrite files in /usr/bin (eg./usr/bin/ld), here's a quick fix for
it:

sudo checkinstall -exclude=/etc/gconf,/usr/bin/strip,/usr/bin/nm,/usr/
bin/gcc,/usr/bin/ld,/usr/lib/gcc,/usr/lib/libgconf2-4