Ubuntu HOWTO: How to get a Canon all-in-one printer working with Ubuntu

Darth Chaos

Jan 7, 2008, 1:29:15 PM1/7/08
to ULUG (Ubuntu Linux Users Group)
Ubuntu HOWTO: How to get a Canon all-in-one printer working with
Ubuntu

These instructions are for Canon all-in-one printers (printer,
scanner, and copier in one unit). These instructions are for the Canon
PIXMA MP160, but these instructions can be adapted for other all-in-
one printers in the Canon PIXMA series of all-in-one printers. This is
done entirely in the terminal. This was done on Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty
Fawn.

1. Open the terminal.

2. You need the necessary compiling tools, so if you haven't already
done so, open a console and

sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev libxml2-dev gettext libnss-dev
libnspr-dev libgtkspell

This will download all the necessary dependencies. I downloaded these
so I could compile Pidgin 2.3.1 for Ubuntu Feisty but discovered that
this also downloaded the necessary files to compile and install the
sane back-end.

3. Download the printer and scanner drivers from

http://canon.com.au/products/all_in_one_printers/all_in_one_printers/mp160_support.aspx

You will need to download the following files :

cnijfilter-common-2.80-1.i386.rpm

cnifjilter-mp160-2.70-1.i386.rpm

scangearmp-common-1.00-1.i386.rpm

scangearmp-mp160-1.00-1.i386.rpm

Download these files to your home directory.

4. You will now need to download Alien so you can convert the .RPM
files into .DEB files.

sudo apt-get install alien

5. To convert the .RPM files into .DEB files

sudo alien -d *.rpm

6. To install the printer drivers

sudo dpkg -i cnij*.deb

7. To install the scanner drivers

sudo dpkg -i scan*.deb

8. sudo apt-get install libpng3

9. sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3

10. sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

11. cd /usr/share/cups/model/

12. sudo lpadmin -p MP160 -P canonmp160.ppd -v cnij_usb:/dev/usblp0 -E

13. sudo apt-get install libxml1

Now you have the printer completely installed.

Now we need to get the scanner completely installed. To do this, we
need to install the scanner back-end.

1. Download the sane scanner back-end from

http://home.arcor.de/wittawat/pixma/mp150-0.13.1.tar.bz2

Save it to your home directory.

2. Uncompress the downloaded file by

tar -xvjf mp150-0.13.1.tar.bz2

3. cd mp150-0.13.1

4. make

5. sudo make install

(if asked to overwrite any files, choose Yes)

Turn on your Canon all-in-one printer, do a complete restart (not a
simple log-out), and log back in. To test your scanner, place
something in your scanner and open XSane by clicking

Applications -> Graphics -> XSane Image Scanner

To scan, click on the Scan button. Don't forget to set the scan
resolution to your liking.