How to get Ndiswrapper and Broadcom 43xx wifi properly working on Ubuntu Hardy

Darth Chaos

Jul 29, 2008, 4:26:01 PM7/29/08
to ULUG (Ubuntu Linux Users Group)
Taken from http://blog.roberthallam.org/2008/04/broadcom-4318-ubuntu-hardy-heron-ndiswrapper/

1) Remove the b43-fwcutter package

sudo aptitude remove b43-fwcutter

(NOTE: If you do not have b43-fwcutter enabled in the Restricted
Drivers Manager, ignore this step.)

2) Install ndiswrapper

sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9

(NOTE: If ndiswrapper is already installed, ignore this step.)

3) Download and install wireless driver. Extract the contents to your
user's home directory.

Wifi drivers available at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LMXHHJQ9

4) Create bash script to fix wireless

cd /etc/init.d
sudo gedit wirelessfix.sh

(NOTE: If using Kubuntu, use kwrite in place of gedit. If using
Xubuntu, use mousepad in place of gedit.)

Paste the following into the empty file:
#!/bin/bash

modprobe -r b44
modprobe -r b43
modprobe -r b43legacy
modprobe -r ssb
modprobe -r ndiswrapper
modprobe ndiswrapper
modprobe b44

5) Save it, and close the text editor.

6) Make wirelessfix.sh executable:

sudo chmod 755 wirelessfix.sh

7) Execute the following command:

sudo update-rc.d wirelessfix.sh defaults

cd /home/user (substitute user with your username)

9) Go to where the drivers contents were extracted. It should be a
directory named wlan.

cd wlan

10) Install the drivers.

sudo ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf

sudo ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5a.inf

11) Reboot.

Wifi should be working upon reboot. Enjoy!

topgi

Jul 31, 2008, 8:37:20 AM7/31/08
to ULUG (Ubuntu Linux Users Group)
I did it simply doing an update of the system immediately after the
installation. One reboot with the new kernel version, Ubuntu will ask
you to install the restricted driver for this card. Just few seconds
and your card will work.