Using an AverMedia AVerTV Go 007 FM Plus TV tuner card in Ubuntu

Darth Chaos

Jul 17, 2008, 5:19:24 PM7/17/08
to ULUG (Ubuntu Linux Users Group)
Taken from http://pikupq.wordpress.com/2008/06/12/configure-avermedia-aver-tv-go-007-configuration-in-ubuntu/

I have configured successfully AverMedia Aver TV Go 007 tv card in my
ubuntu. And now I`m enjoying the Euro2008 football tournament. I want
to share with you my experience. Because I have suffered a year from
this problem. Ok get ready friend.

Software Informations:

TvTime 1.0.2-0.2ubuntu
For more Information about TvTime: http://tvtime.net

Installation TvTime:

1. Go to terminal window and use this command to login as root:

sudo su

Now enter the root password.

2. Then use this command to install TvTime:

apt-get install tvtime

Well, You can install this from Synaptic Package Manager too.

3. Now you have to install the sox:

apt-get install sox

.

Configuring TvTime:

1. To know your card driver use this command:

dmesg

It will display all of your PC informations. Note the saa71XX driver
information. Here XX will be saa7130 or saa7134, that means 30 or 34.
Please also note the “tuner 0-00XX: type set to Y” line. This will
inform you that what is your tv tuner number. It’s very important. My
tuner number is 5. That means “tuner 0-00XX: type set to 5″. Also note
this “saa3130[0]: subsystem xxxx:xxxx board: Empire PCI TV-Radio LE
[card=XX,insmod option]“ line. Here card=XX will inform you about your
card number. My card number is 44, that means card=44.

2. Now use this command to load your driver saa71XX (my driver is
saa7134, so I`m using saa7134)

modprobe saa7134

If you use this saa7134 and you have got the FATAl message, Then try
with modprobe saa7130 this.

3. Okey Now you have to load the saa713X-alsa driver:

modprobe saa7134-alsa

This is an audio driver. You can use hear audio from TvTime.

4. Now you have to set your card number and tuner nmber. Use this
command:

modprobe saa7134 card=44 tuner=5

This 44 and 5 number I have already got from dmesg command. But set
your card and tuner number from dmesg command which I have already
told above.

(Darth Chaos' comment: When I ran dmseg, I got the following:

saa7133[0]: subsystem: 1461:f31f, board: Avermedia AVerTV GO 007 FM
[card=57,autodetected]
tuner 0-004b: type set to tda8290+75

So I had to use the following command:

sudo modprobe saa7134 card=57 tuner=tda8290+75

Your readout may vary.)

5. Now use this command:

tvtime-scanner

This command will scan the channels of your tv line and automatically
add channels in channel list. It will scan from 1 MHz to 1000 Mhz
frequency. So, wait for 5 or 6 minutes for this.

6. Finally when it completed the channel scan successfully, just use
this command to watch tv:

tvtime

Use the terminal window for watching tv with TvTime with above tvtime
command. When you exit root login, use the following command for watch
tv in normal user mode:

sudo tvtime
Password: <enter your root password>

Enjoy Euro2008 Football tournament with your TvTime…

To get the TV tuner card's onboard sound capabilities working with TV
Time, you will need to do the following:

1. In the terminal,
sudo su
(Enter in your password if asked to do so.)

2. apt-get install sox

3. In the terminal,
thunar (if using Xubuntu)
nautilus (if using Ubuntu)
(Warning: This will open up Thunar/Nautilus in superuser mode, so do
not delete any important files.)

4. Go to /usr/bin

5. Right-click and choose Create Document -> Empty File. Name the new
file tv.sh

6. Right-click on tv and choose Open With -> Text Editor (in Ubuntu)
or Open With -> Mousepad (in Xubuntu).

7. Paste in the following text:

#!/bin/sh
sox -c 2 -s -w -r 32000 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp1 -t ossdsp -w -r 32000 /dev/
dsp &
tvtime --mixer=/dev/mixer:pcm
wait tvtime
t=`pidof sox`;