usb hardrive

Douglas Pollard

Sep 8, 2008, 12:23:44 PM9/8/08
to Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions
My usb hard drive sdh1 shows up at the bottom of the below list in terminal. There is no icon in ( places, home) to open. I assume this is because it is not mounted at start up. I plan to do all my backups to this drive. Without backup I feel pretty naked when it comes to trying to get the partition to mount at start up. I don't need all my files screwed up. I am not really sure mounting is the problem.
Please help
Doug

Disk /dev/sda: 200.0 GB, 200049647616 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 24321 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x028ef790

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 23993 192723741 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 23994 24321 2634660 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 23994 24321 2634628+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x09a43bda

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 30401 244196001 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sdc: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0009e195

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdc1 1 19457 156288321 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sdh: 250.0 GB, 250059349504 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x32ab94cc

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdh1 1 30401 244196001 83 Linux

Neil

Sep 8, 2008, 1:44:17 PM9/8/08
to Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions

Hello

To mount the disk automatically there are 2 ways: a graphical one
(fancy gui) and a konsole one. I know and use the console one.

Open a terminal/console
enter: "sudo nano /etc/fstab" and your password

add the line: "UUID=0x32ab94cc /media/data ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 3"
if you want to have it default mounted at /media/data (you can use
every location you want there. If you'd prefer "/backup", be my guest)

ctrl-x
<enter>

Create the folder to mount it:
"sudo mkdir /media/data" (password if requested)

Now the disk will automount at boot

If this doesn't work, could you give us the response of "mount"?

Hope it helps

Neil

--
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count, and those who cannot count

Karl Larsen

Sep 8, 2008, 2:56:38 PM9/8/08
to Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions
Not sure how your getting to your external hard drive. Mine has a
regular USB cable and it always shows up as /media/disk/. My rsync file
tells it to put the backup on /media/disk/ and it does.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Neil

Sep 9, 2008, 2:03:12 AM9/9/08
On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 8:56 PM, Karl Larsen <k5...@zianet.com> wrote:
> Douglas Pollard wrote:
>> My usb hard drive sdh1 shows up at the bottom of the below list in terminal. There is no icon in ( places, home) to open. I assume this is because it is not mounted at start up. I plan to do all my backups to this drive. Without backup I feel pretty naked when it comes to trying to get the partition to mount at start up. I don't need all my files screwed up. I am not really sure mounting is the problem.
>> Please help
>> Doug
> Not sure how your getting to your external hard drive. Mine has a
> regular USB cable and it always shows up as /media/disk/. My rsync file
> tells it to put the backup on /media/disk/ and it does.
>
> Karl

Hi Karl

That may be perfect in most cases, but have you ever booted the box
with an USB stick in one of the other ports? It may succede, it may
not.
Why:
Linux seems to check the USB ports in a simple sequence (it should be
possible to find it, but I don't know how). /media/disk wil be
occupied by the first disk found, /media/disk1 (or something) will be
the next. If you have the unfortunate situation where the USB stick is
detected BEFORE the hd is detected, you will have the backup program
trying to put all the data on the USB stick. This may work a couple of
times, but it may cause some big big troubles (dunno what flavour of
backup sw you use).

Just trying to prevent troubles that may not ever happen to anyone,
but are best to avoid.

Kind regards
Neil

--
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count, and those who cannot count