SFD Guidelines and Demo Machines

Dave Sullivan

Sep 14, 2006, 12:50:55 PM9/14/06
to ubuntu-...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,

Here's what I think is a good set of guidelines for us to follow on
Saturday. I found this on softwarefreedomday.org/StartGuide

DO present the capabilities and practical benefits of FOSS.
* DO NOT pretend that FOSS is perfect for everyone or everything.
* DO have the ability to present FOSS ideology clearly and concisely
to interested people.
* DO NOT beat uninterested people over the head with ideology; this
will confuse and intimidate them. Instead...
* DO let the quality of the software speak for itself and its
ideology.
* DO have demo machines present if possible.
* DO your best to connect people with a local FOSS community.
* DO provide contact information for your SFD team so people can
subsequently contact you for more information.
* DO get contact information from interested and willing people, so
you can proactively follow-up with them later.
* DO proactively follow-up with people who attend your SFD event.
* DO find and cooperate with other SFD teams in your area.
* DO start other SFD teams in your area - this is cooperation, not
competition!
* DO NOT -- seriously -- DO NOT bash Microsoft or SCO or any other
false Great Satan. Software Freedom Day is not about any individual
companies or people; Software Freedom Day is a positive community
celebration of Software Freedom.

This is something we haven't really discussed yet: What are we using for
demo machines? Are people willing to provide demonstrations with their
laptops? I'm willing to lug my PC down if we can get some kind of video
connection for it, ie. a projector.

Patrick said he'll stop by the art store on College and pick up some
bristol board and markers so we can design some signage of sorts to go
outside with our 10-foot Tux. I'll have two medium-sized t-shirts
available, in addition to the 'prototype' one I've got for myself.

Is there anything else we need to get done? Are we going to use a
projector, or just laptops? If we're using a projector, where are we
getting it from? If we're renting, where are we getting the money? Just
some things to consider... myself, I don't have any connections for a
projector. I'm hoping you guys might know someone with a projector, or
someone who runs a shop that rents projectors that we can get some kind
of discount on.

This stuff can also be discussed when we meet Friday night for our
brochure-folding.

--
Dave Sullivan <demsu...@gmail.com>
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DaveSullivan

Dave Sullivan

Sep 14, 2006, 12:53:08 PM9/14/06
to ubuntu-...@googlegroups.com
Ooo! An idea!
Does anyone have a car? If so, would it be possible to pick me up
Saturday morning? This way, I could bring my PC and the box of CDs, and
perhaps my monitor if need be, rather than lugging my PC and a box of
CDs on the subway.
Tell me someone here drives? :P