Team Website

Bilal Akhtar

Jan 21, 2011, 9:07:07 AM1/21/11
to ubun...@googlegroups.com
Assalam Alaikum everybody,

Alhamdolillah due to Amazon Web Services' amazing offer
(http://aws.amazon.com/free) I have been able to start up an Ubuntu
10.04 server and make the arrangements for hosting ubuntu-sa.org on it.

There are some issues I am facing currently (GO telecom users are not
able to reach it, instead they are redirected to the old IP address of
the domain, which was Mouath Ibrahim's server). But very soon I will set
up a Drupal CMS with the new Ubuntu theme.

If you are using STC or any other ISP other than GO then you can check
out ubuntu-sa.org which would just say 'under construction'

I want a few arabic and english writers who would create and edit
articles on the website. We would like to have these things on the website:

1) A good and informative page describing why Ubuntu is better than Windows.

2) Pages on Islamic apps on Ubuntu (please mention sabily here)

3) How to get Ubuntu and how to contact the LoCo team.

And many more. (Your ideas, please)

If you are interested in writing/helping to write the above pages then
please reply to this thread on the mailing list. I will be happy to give
you writing rights. Inshallah this will go very well.

Bilal Akhtar.

--
Bilal Akhtar - Ubuntu Developer <bilal...@ubuntu.com>
IRC nick: cdbs

signature.asc

Bilal Akhtar

Jan 21, 2011, 10:26:04 AM1/21/11
to ubun...@googlegroups.com
An update on this one. www.ubuntu-sa.org seems to be working fine
everywhere, regardless of domain.

Moreover, I have installed drupal on the website so it is much more than
a simple 'Under Construction'.

The next challenge is: theme. The official Ubuntu theme for Drupal is
available for only version 6 of drupal, which doesn't have a good
permission system at all (we need a permission system so that some
non-admin people could be granted right to edit/write articles). This is
not possible in Drupal 6 but is possible in 7.

More info on drupal at http://drupal.org/

So we have these options:

1) Somehow manage with Drupal 6.

2) Use a non-ubuntu theme on Drupal 7

Which one do you find better?

Thanks,

Bilal Akhtar.

signature.asc

Bilal Akhtar

Jan 21, 2011, 7:15:01 AM1/21/11
to ubun...@googlegroups.com
signature.asc

Mouath Ibrahim

Jan 21, 2011, 3:03:11 PM1/21/11
to ubun...@googlegroups.com
Al slam Alikum,

Ma Sha'allah Bilal you did great job.

[ I missed you ;) ]

if you want translator, i will do my best just give any article in English and i will try to translate it if i got time ;)

Best wishes,

Mouath Ibrahim.

Mohammad Al Ofaisan

Jan 21, 2011, 3:06:18 PM1/21/11
to ubun...@googlegroups.com

Whats wrong with joomla  its way easier than drupal

> --
>
> تصلك هذه الرسالة كونك مشترك في مجموعات قوقل "اوبنتو-العربية" المجموعة.
> للارسال مشاركة للمجموعة نفسها,ارسل رسالة الى بريد التالي ubun...@googlegroups.com
> للانسحاب من هذه المجموعة ,ارسل رسالة الى البريد التالي ubuntu-sa-...@googlegroups.com
>
> لمزيد من الاختيارات ,زر هذه المجموعة على العنوان التالي http://groups.google.com/group/ubuntu-sa?hl=ar

Hassan Alshawaf

Jan 22, 2011, 3:17:48 AM1/22/11
to ubun...@googlegroups.com
count me in with you
i can work in both Arabic or English

Syed Qutubuddin

Jan 22, 2011, 4:35:49 AM1/22/11
to ubun...@googlegroups.com
I am work on some English pages.

Qutub
Visit me @ www.skqutubuddin.net
Visit India @ www.indiavision.com

2011/1/22 Hassan Alshawaf <hh.al...@gmail.com>:

--

Syed Qutubuddin

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
:: Certainly the remembrance of Allah is the greatest, and Allah knows
what you do.[29. Surah Al-Ankabut : Ayah 45] ::
:: Remember Allah much, that you may be successful.[62. Surah Al-Juma
: Ayah 10]::
:: Allah does not love the unjust.[3.Surah Aal-Imran : Ayah 57]::
::'No soul knows what is kept hidden for them, of joy as a reward for
what they used to do.' " (32.17) ::
:: Allah does not love the unjust.[3.Surah Aal-Imran : Ayah 57]::
:: Then which of the favours of your Lord will you deny? (13: Sura e Rehman) ::
:: "Have you not seen that Allah sent rain down from the sky and
caused it to penetrate the ground and come forth as springs, then He
caused crops of different colours to grow..." Qur'raan, 39:21 ::
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Bilal Akhtar

Jan 22, 2011, 7:35:18 AM1/22/11
to ubun...@googlegroups.com
On 01/21/2011 11:06 PM, Mohammad Al Ofaisan wrote:
> Whats wrong with joomla its way easier than drupal

These are the reasons why I am using drupal:

1) Officially recommended by Ubuntu for loco teams.

2) Faster, admin interface much more cleaner (I hate the
menu-and-thumbnail system of joomla)

3) Better article classification (Drupal provides intensive
categorization thanks to the Taxonomy module, Joomla allows only 2
levels: Sections and Categories).

Moreover, Drupal is much better in terms of security as its code base is
smaller.

signature.asc

Ahmed Shubbar

Jan 22, 2011, 7:57:30 AM1/22/11
to ubun...@googlegroups.com
Security is more important than looks. So I recommend going for Drupal 7.
You are doing a great job. Count me in for writing of articles, both Arabic and English.

Regards,
Ahmed

Bilal Akhtar

Jan 22, 2011, 8:41:05 AM1/22/11
to ubun...@googlegroups.com
On 01/22/2011 03:57 PM, Ahmed Shubbar wrote:
> Security is more important than looks. So I recommend going for Drupal 7.
> You are doing a great job. Count me in for writing of articles, both Arabic
> and English.

Though security is more important, an ubuntu community website without
an Ubuntu theme would look out of order. So I am using Drupal 6
currently (already set up, you can see the website at ubuntu-sa.org) and
will move to 7 when the Ubuntu Drupal developers make a theme for it
(would take another month).

Okay, so can everybody here please create an account on the site? I have
created a role called 'writers' which will allow you to do most of the
work on the site. Once you have created your account mail me with the
username and I'll add you to the 'writers' group.

Thanks!

Bilal Akhtar.

signature.asc

Bilal Akhtar

Jan 22, 2011, 9:32:32 AM1/22/11
to ubun...@googlegroups.com
On 01/22/2011 04:41 PM, Bilal Akhtar wrote:
> On 01/22/2011 03:57 PM, Ahmed Shubbar wrote:
>> Security is more important than looks. So I recommend going for Drupal 7.
>> You are doing a great job. Count me in for writing of articles, both Arabic
>> and English.
>
> Though security is more important, an ubuntu community website without
> an Ubuntu theme would look out of order. So I am using Drupal 6
> currently (already set up, you can see the website at ubuntu-sa.org) and
> will move to 7 when the Ubuntu Drupal developers make a theme for it
> (would take another month).
>
> Okay, so can everybody here please create an account on the site? I have
> created a role called 'writers' which will allow you to do most of the
> work on the site. Once you have created your account mail me with the
> username and I'll add you to the 'writers' group.

Sorry to say this but I am still working on getting multilingual support
on the site. If you send me the mails I can add you to the group but
please don't add any content yet as it will make the task more difficult
for me.

I will inform when it would be okay to add content.

signature.asc

Emad Medher

Jan 22, 2011, 10:10:10 AM1/22/11
to ubun...@googlegroups.com
Syed considering your English level I rather if you worked on Arabic. We need to look professional. Guys throw whatever at me. I'd be happy to pitch in. cheers.

Hamood

Jan 22, 2011, 10:13:10 AM1/22/11
to ubuntu-sa
Excellent Work Mr. Akhtar,

I can handle both English and Arabic articles.

For getting Ubuntu, I can volunteer of holding copies of the OS at my
business locations in Jeddah, provided I knew where to get them since
there is no distributor in the Kingdom.

However, it is possible to keep some available copies downloaded,
printed and packaged, handy for anyone who would require them and can
request access or a copy via the website.

Regards,
> Bilal Akhtar - Ubuntu Developer <bilalakh...@ubuntu.com>
> IRC nick: cdbs
>
>  signature.asc
> < 1KViewDownload

Emad Medher

Jan 22, 2011, 11:23:51 AM1/22/11
to ubun...@googlegroups.com
I can voulenteer to provide copies of the OS in Eastern region. Dammam, Khobar, etc. From my location. KFUPM, CCSE Club. Do we have to create our own covers and whatnot?

Bilal Akhtar

Jan 23, 2011, 8:43:10 AM1/23/11
to ubun...@googlegroups.com
A follow up on this one:

My exams are starting very soon. So I would not be able to work on the
website until February 7 . So please wait for me to completely set up
the website (which will likely happen in the week right after Feb 7)

Thanks for you patience,

Bilal Akhtar.

signature.asc

Mouath Ibrahim

Jan 23, 2011, 3:24:42 PM1/23/11
to ubun...@googlegroups.com
Bilal, hope you do will in your exams.

Hassan Alshawaf

Jan 23, 2011, 5:23:14 PM1/23/11
to ubun...@googlegroups.com
study hard that is what i am trying to do

and good luck with yours