Multi-key character problem

Dan Healy

Nov 5, 2014, 9:02:17 AM11/5/14
to ubuntu-ho...@googlegroups.com
I have just upgraded from Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04.  Using the compose key I can enter multi-key characters.  On the first attachment I show two strings that look identical, but when I view the source code, the second attachment, they are not identical.  Under "<SCRIPT LANGUAGE=..." see "var ansTxt =..." and  four lines down in the code see "var ansTxtDecode=...".  The two strings are not equal.

The first string came from a mysql record created in Ubuntu 12.04, the second entered with Ubuntu 14.04.

Does anyone have any idea what I have missed.  The two strings were equal in 12.04 and obviously not in 14.04.

Thanks, Dan Healy
Screenshot from 2014-11-04 09:45:52.png
Screenshot from 2014-11-04 09:50:12.png

Nathan Roe

Nov 5, 2014, 12:08:19 PM11/5/14
to ubuntu-ho...@googlegroups.com
Jesus that color scheme...

The first answer is using an HTML entity, the other is using a multi-key character. I'd recommend doing something like normalizing all inputs into UTF-8, replacing any entities with the appropriate UTF-8.

Dan Healy

Nov 5, 2014, 12:43:51 PM11/5/14
to ubuntu-ho...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Nathan for the response.  The other, using a multi-key character, is entered into an HTML text box.  How do I normalize all inputs to UTF-8?  I don't think I had to do anything special with 12.04.

If I can fix this problem I will gladly change the color scheme.

Dan H