Linux Command Line Symbol ~/

Dan Healy

Oct 29, 2012, 1:01:21 PM10/29/12
to Ubuntu Texas Local Community Team, ubuntu-ho...@googlegroups.com
What does the "~/" mean?  In my notes on connecting to an AWS instance I have the following command line:

scp -r -i your file.pem ../../../var/www/application folder name ubuntu@IPAddr:~/

The "~/" is pencilled in on my notes.  I don't know why I put it there or what it is supposed to do and I have not been able to find any explanation on-line.  I would appreciate any ideas any of you might have.

Also, does anyone know of a good, searchable, on-line, Linux command line reference?

Thanks,

Dan H

Matthew Curry

Oct 29, 2012, 1:02:18 PM10/29/12
to ubuntu-ho...@googlegroups.com
~ is for your homedir

Thanks,
Matthew D. Curry
www.MattCurry.Com

nalioth

Oct 29, 2012, 1:03:21 PM10/29/12
to ubuntu-ho...@googlegroups.com
It means your (or whoever's logged in) home directory

i.e. mv ~/file.file /var/www/public_html
or
pico ~/file.txt