Boot from a usb drive

Dan Healy

Jan 10, 2016, 1:54:57 PM1/10/16
to Ubuntu Texas Local Community Team, ubuntu-ho...@googlegroups.com
I have an Asus notebook pc running ubuntu 14.04 lts.  I want to re-install ubuntu 14.04 from a usb drive.  I have found several on-line sources of the necessary instructions, but they are too long with too many options and acronims I don't understand.  Memory is 3.8 GiB and OS type is 32-bit.

How do I tell my machine to boot from the usb drive?

Thanks, Dan H.

lmind moto

Jan 11, 2016, 11:19:42 AM1/11/16
to ubuntu houston, ubuntu...@lists.ubuntu.com
Dan,

During boot, press F12 or delete - whichever button gives you boot options.

John

Dan Healy

Jan 25, 2016, 6:49:14 PM1/25/16
to ubuntu-ho...@googlegroups.com, Ubuntu Texas Local Community Team

I finally got the system to look at the usb drive to boot and it came back with a message that it didn't recognize the file as a boot file.  The file name is: ubuntu-14.04.3-desktop-i386.iso.  I had to try something else.

The real problem is, I can't use any LibreOffice program.  When I try any LibreOffice program I get the message shown in  the attachment.  That message shows up regardless of the module I am trying to use.  It also requires me to re-boot the computer.

I decided to try to remove all LibreOffice modules and re-install them.  I did apt-get purge and autoremove all of the LibreOffice modules, re-booted, and tried calc and got the same result.  I get the same result even if I use write.

Is there any way I can get back the use of LibreOffice?  There is probably some file somewhere that tells LibreOffice to look for a file named RXCosts.xls.  Can I go to that file and reset it?

I do appreciate you even reading this.  This is the longest I have been hung up on ubuntu since I started using it years ago.

Thanks, Dan H

Screenshot from 2015-06-17 11:11:35.png

lmind moto

Dan Healy

Feb 2, 2016, 7:47:02 AM2/2/16
to ubuntu-ho...@googlegroups.com
While looking for isohybrid and unetbootin I came across usb-creator-gtk already installed on my old system.  It is easy to use, so I now have a clean system.  I have installed LibreOffice and can use it.

Thanks again for the great help.

Dan H

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 9:58 PM, lmind moto <loade...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

JONATAN NODA

Mar 9, 2017, 11:31:51 AM3/9/17
to ubuntu houston, ubuntu...@lists.ubuntu.com
Well you need to reboot the "computer/machine" and press and hold at the same time ESC or F6, F8, F2, F1, or F11, or F12, only one of this ones, then the computer will go directly to the BIOS, may it will ask you if you want to do that otherwise it will take you directly. Then you have to go to the boot menu of the BIOS and select the from the Start up order/priority device that you want to boot from a USB Drive. The menus change with the computer manufacturer and BIOS version.