alt key for Spanish special characters

Dan Healy

Nov 26, 2012, 8:00:15 AM11/26/12
to Ubuntu Texas Local Community Team, ubuntu-ho...@googlegroups.com
I have been using the right alt key to enter Spanish special characters in a text area on a web page.  I have lost that ability.  Now when I click the right alt key it clears the text area. How did I lose that capability and how do I get it back?

On this page it works ie á.  Why doesn't it work on a browser page?  I am using firefox.

Thanks,

Dan H

Daniel Smith

Nov 29, 2012, 1:08:43 PM11/29/12
to ubuntu-ho...@googlegroups.com, Ubuntu Texas Local Community Team

Firefox, in an effort to optimize the space for viewing web pages, has hidden the menu bar. Now to get that bar one has to hit the ALT key which is overriding your systems Compose key setting. Easiest thing I would think to do is to change the Ubuntu keyboard settings to use a different compose key, but there might be a setting to change the key in Firefox that shows the menu bar to something else.

ralyon

Dan Healy

Nov 29, 2012, 1:27:56 PM11/29/12
to ubuntu-ho...@googlegroups.com
Raylon,

Thanks for your response.  It turns out the problem was in my code.  I wanted to clear the text area when it gets focus.  That was easy to do if you don't use the compose key.  When you use the compose key the text area loses focus and regains it thus causing the area to be cleared again.  There is probably a way to do what I want to do in JavaScript, but I haven't figured it out.

Thanks again for your response.

Dan H.