Need help with cups for automatic provide printing drivers.

Jonny Nguyen

Dec 28, 2012, 9:05:06 PM12/28/12
to ubuntu-ho...@googlegroups.com
I have cups setup but I cannot have cups deliver the printing drivers to windows client machine.

I can install it manually but not very good solution when you have 100 of computers.

Please advise

thanks in advance

Jonny

Lee Sharp

Dec 29, 2012, 1:24:50 AM12/29/12
On 12/28/2012 08:05 PM, Jonny Nguyen wrote:
> I have cups setup but I cannot have cups deliver the printing drivers to
> windows client machine.
>
> I can install it manually but not very good solution when you have 100
> of computers.

This is far more of a PITA than it should be... What clients are you using?

Lee

Jonny Nguyen

Dec 29, 2012, 1:57:47 AM12/29/12
to ubuntu-ho...@googlegroups.com
windows 7 mainly

                        Lee

Lee Sharp

Dec 29, 2012, 1:39:18 PM12/29/12
On 12/29/2012 12:57 AM, Jonny Nguyen wrote:
> windows 7 mainly
32bit, 64bit or both?

Lee

Jonny Nguyen

Dec 29, 2012, 2:06:47 PM12/29/12
to ubuntu-ho...@googlegroups.com
64bit mainly

                        Lee

Lee Sharp

Dec 29, 2012, 3:01:52 PM12/29/12
On 12/29/2012 01:06 PM, Jonny Nguyen wrote:
> 64bit mainly

OK. You're screwed. I have been working on this for a while...

Here is my notes pages of links to help. That said, I do not have a
solid working solution yet.

Good luck!

Lee

This is a link to a PPA with a more current cups...

https://launchpad.net/~arnulf-heimsbakk/+archive/work?field.series_filter=precise

These are links to some potential solutions to the CUPS driver problems.

http://blog.amoktech.com/?p=15
http://rambling-techie.blogspot.com/2010/11/part-iii-cups-and-windows-drivers.html
http://noblepaladin.wordpress.com/2011/06/08/using-a-cups-printer-server-to-push-windows-7-64-bit-print-drivers/
http://blog.encomiabile.it/2010/02/17/samba-cups-and-windows-32-64-bit-drivers/

Some driver instructions from a user standpoint.

http://www.divms.uiowa.edu/help/windows/printers_win7/