Proposed May Meeting

Rocky

Apr 17, 2009, 7:50:52 AM4/17/09
to ubuntu-austin
I would like to propose we meet on the 3rd Sunday in May (17th) at the
Primo 360 Coffee Shop. This is near the Arboretum at the corner of
Great Hills Trail and Jollyville Rd. and located just behind Pier 1
Imports.

Agenda:

a. What do we want from our LOCO group?
b. Create a workable calendar of events for next 6 months based off
our stated objectives from "a" above.
c. Attempt to commit to attending the meetings and supporting the
group (Scary word..commitment but without it, nothing happens)

I'm committed to regular meetings, attendance and support of the
group. I invite at least "one" other person to join me in that
commitment. Commiting to the group means I block out that time slot
in my calendar and nobody else gets that time except in the case of an
event that absolutely MUST take precedence.

If I can NOT make a meeting, then I will inform the group and, if I am
the host, I will attempt to find someone to stand in for me.

I will make a placard to identify the table as the Ubuntu LOCO

As a note, I did show up at the last one at this location but nobody
else did...at least that I could recognize.

Any comments or ideas?

Rocky Hardie

Rocky

Apr 20, 2009, 9:11:38 AM4/20/09
to ubuntu-austin
I"ve not received a response so I"ll assume there is no interest in an
Ubuntu LOCO meeting at Primo 360 in May. For clarity sake, I'm
withdrawing the offer to host as I have lots of other projects on my
plate as well.

Rocky

Skip Guenter

Apr 21, 2009, 2:27:20 AM4/21/09
to ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
I was interested just didn't wanna commit till it was a bit closer.

Rocky

Apr 21, 2009, 11:58:23 AM4/21/09
to ubuntu-austin
Thank you for your response.

I will keep my original commitment open if there is even a little bit
of interest.

It is really helpful for people to let a group organizer know as soon
as possible so they can gauge their level of activity and prioritize
other aspects of their schedule - silence equals no interest for the
organizer.

I am excited about having meaningful gatherings regarding Ubuntu and
at the same time I am heavily involved with my main line of work and
an aggressive photographic team building project of up to 16
people...so I would like to think my time and energy count for
something to someone where Ubuntu is concerned. :-)

Again, thanks for your appreciated comment, Skip, and I'll commit to
being at the coffee shop to meet with you and anyone else.

Try to let me know for sure as we are about 10 days from the meeting
date.

Kind regards,

Rocky Hardie

Dustin Kirkland

Apr 21, 2009, 12:07:00 PM4/21/09
to ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 6:50 AM, Rocky <rox...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to propose we meet on the 3rd Sunday in May (17th) at the
> Primo 360 Coffee Shop.  This is near the Arboretum at the corner of
> Great Hills Trail and Jollyville Rd. and located just behind Pier 1
> Imports.

Thanks for organizing, Rocky. I hope that there is a good turnout.

Unfortunately, I cannot meet on Sundays. I'm generally traveling or
otherwise occupied.

Secondly, I can't make that particular Sunday as I'll be traveling for
most of May.

Cheers,
:-Dustin

Ed Cranford

Apr 21, 2009, 12:29:13 PM4/21/09
to ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
I should have no problem getting to Primo 360 that day; if anything
comes up I'll let you know by the 7th, Rocky.

Rocky

Apr 22, 2009, 8:30:56 AM4/22/09
to ubuntu-austin
Thanks for your responses. I am excited about meeting and I know
that, over time, we can create a group that is very enjoyable to
attend and participate in.

Best regards,

Rocky Hardie
www.TheRockyHardiePictureShow.com

Skip Guenter

Apr 28, 2009, 9:12:48 PM4/28/09
to ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
What time is the 5/17 LOCO thing at Primo?

Ed Cranford

Apr 28, 2009, 9:20:59 PM4/28/09
to ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
Last time, it was 5:30. Or so my notes would have me believe.

Skip Guenter

Apr 28, 2009, 9:37:36 PM4/28/09
to ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
Thanx.

Rocky

Apr 29, 2009, 1:01:54 PM4/29/09
to ubuntu-austin
Yes. 5:30 PM at Primo 360 on Sunday, May 17th.

Sorry for leaving out that important detail.

Rocky

On Apr 28, 8:37 pm, Skip Guenter <sguen...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Thanx.
>
> On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 20:20 -0500, Ed Cranford wrote:
> > Last time, it was 5:30. Or so my notes would have me believe.

Rocky

Apr 29, 2009, 1:06:55 PM4/29/09
to ubuntu-austin
By the way, Dustin, what days of the week would work for you. It
would be nice to have someone from Canonical (you or Manoj Iyer ...or
both would be great) at our meetings.

We can see if it is doable to adjust the date of the week.

I have 7 PM meetings in that general area on Tuesdays and if the
following meeting were held on Tuesdays at, say 5:30 PM or 5:45
PM...maybe even as late as 6 PM, then I could scoot right on over to
my regularly scheduled meeting.

What say ye, group?

Rocky Hardie
www.TheRockyHardiePictureShow.com

On Apr 28, 8:37 pm, Skip Guenter <sguen...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Thanx.
>
> On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 20:20 -0500, Ed Cranford wrote:
> > Last time, it was 5:30. Or so my notes would have me believe.

Dustin Kirkland

Apr 29, 2009, 3:34:05 PM4/29/09
to ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Rocky <rox...@gmail.com> wrote:
> By the way, Dustin, what days of the week would work for you.

Never Sundays! Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday are best for me, ideally
around happy hour.

That said I travel 25%-50% of the time, so there's a solid 1/3 chance
I won't be able to make it.

> It would be nice to have someone from Canonical (you or Manoj Iyer ...or
> both would be great) at our meetings.

That's very kind, but I think Austin should have a healthy LoCo with
or without Canonical participation. I seriously doubt that we add
anything that motivated and energetic community members couldn't
bring.

:-Dustin

Rocky

Apr 30, 2009, 9:39:46 AM4/30/09
to ubuntu-austin
True, we should have a healthy LOCO regardless of who is attending.

Looking forward to whom ever shows up at our May meeting.

Something I would like to do...using my own funds...would be to do
some local Public Relations with the media regarding Ubuntu and then
offer the Install Fest and make a big deal of it.

Spring time is the time for birthing new ideas!

I have marketing and PR resources available to me as a result of my
own non-technical business marketing efforts.

Not sure about anyone else, but I think it would be lots of fun to do.

We could give our Mr. Mark Hicks an opportunity to get Open Office in
front of some people, too! ;-)

Rocky Hardie

Mark Hicks

Apr 30, 2009, 11:22:40 AM4/30/09
to ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Rocky... on May 17 my wife and I celebrate 30 years of marriage... if I've learned one thing in all these years, it's to not go drinking beer with a bunch of geeks on your 30th anniversary... catch you next time.

Rocky

May 1, 2009, 11:31:37 AM5/1/09
to ubuntu-austin
Happy "upcoming" anniversary, Mark!

I have someone working on an Ubuntu Austin LOCO placard for a table
when we have our meeting. This will make it much easier to know you
are in the midst of "Ubuntu folk" - plus, it builds awareness of the
Ubuntu brand.

Interestingly enough, I was doing a telephone interview for a graphic
artist and this one young lady uses Ubuntu and does almost all of her
graphic arts with GIMP.

Rocky Hardie
512-940-5408

On Apr 30, 10:22 am, Mark Hicks <mhi...@bizmark.com> wrote:
> Thank you, Rocky... on May 17 my wife and I celebrate 30 years of
> marriage... if I've learned one thing in all these years, it's to not go
> drinking beer with a bunch of geeks on your 30th anniversary... catch you
> next time.

Mark Hicks

May 1, 2009, 2:36:51 PM5/1/09
to ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
Rocky, would you email me the contact info for the woman who uses Gimp on Ubuntu?  Does she do consulting?

Rocky

May 2, 2009, 8:17:22 PM5/2/09
to ubuntu-austin
I could, but I think I need to vett her a bit. I suspect that she may
be kind of "out there" based upon a lengthy conversation I had with
her. On the edge, so to speak...but I'm not sure. I'll be happy to
share in a personal conversation. As far as her interest in open
source, she's hard core.

Rocky

Mark Hicks

May 2, 2009, 8:34:13 PM5/2/09
to ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
My interest is having a resource that I can pull in when I engage a firm that may have need to move from Photoshop to the Gimp... I'm intending to promote OpenOffice, and every OpenOffice candidate is a potential Gimp candidate... I simply want to have the connection and resource if an when an opportunity arrises.  To start off, I'd just like to buy her coffee and make the contact.

Rocky

May 3, 2009, 7:09:30 AM5/3/09
to ubuntu-austin
I know. I've mentioned you and your basic objectives to her. I'm
setting up my first meeting with her for this afternoon for my project
to see if she passes the "hand shake" test.

I'll send her contact information to your private email.

Rocky

On May 2, 7:34 pm, Mark Hicks <mhi...@bizmark.com> wrote:
> My interest is having a resource that I can pull in when I engage a firm
> that may have need to move from Photoshop to the Gimp... I'm intending to
> promote OpenOffice, and every OpenOffice candidate is a potential Gimp
> candidate... I simply want to have the connection and resource if an when an
> opportunity arrises.  To start off, I'd just like to buy her coffee and make
> the contact.

Skip Guenter

May 3, 2009, 4:42:57 PM5/3/09
to ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
Anyone have any ideas why the 1st vid will not play on my (default gnome
desktop) Ubuntu v8.10 (x64) machine?

The candidates are sharpening their messages and making their final
appeals.

We have one goal — more common sense at City Hall. This election we
can stop running off new families and new businesses. Let’s make Hutto
the community we all want to live in!

You can check out our latest TV ad here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=pwgpmcHRkos

And don’t forget our first ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=pp0hggqY_Jc

Early Voting ends Tuesday, May 5.

Make the choice for common sense today!

Rocky

May 6, 2009, 11:47:56 AM5/6/09
to ubuntu-austin
IT'S OFFICIAL! I now have the art work for our Ubuntu LOCO placard so
that we can proudly proclaim Ubuntu territory at the coffee shop when
we meet for our Ubuntu LOCO meeting on May 17th at 5:30 PM...at Primo
360 coffee shop.

I paid a graphic artist to find the logo and make the images since I
was too busy...and I'm not into that kind of stuff anyway. He
commented, "There is a whole community around this Ubuntu software."
I grinned and replied, "Yea, I know." He commented that he mentioned
Ubuntu to a friend who then said that he had been using Ubuntu for a
while.

Bottom line...we may have a new Ubuntu convert!

I may have to invite another graphic artist I'll be working with in my
photography work who uses exclusively Ubuntu and GIMP in her
work....so Mark Hicks can interview her about her experience with
GIMP. ;-)

By the way, Mark Hicks, my photos from Hands on Housing this past
Saturday are at www.TheRockyHardiePictureShow.com and I'll be adding
some more soon.

Rocky Hardie

Ed Cranford

May 17, 2009, 6:55:36 PM5/17/09
to ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
I don't see any placards here. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough?

Skip Guenter

May 18, 2009, 12:45:28 PM5/18/09
to ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
OK, anybody show? I have a list of lame-ass excuses why I didn't make
it but I'm sure you're not interested.

Skip

Ed Cranford

May 18, 2009, 2:41:08 PM5/18/09
to ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
I was ten or fifteen minutes late, but I stayed until about 6:30.
I didn't see anyone there at all.

Rocky

May 19, 2009, 9:34:57 AM5/19/09
to ubuntu-austin
Oh boy. This isn't going to be fun.

I had my calendar marked and alarms to remind me...and then certain
events caused me to totally loose focus on what was happening in the
day. I woke up about 4 AM Monday to the realization that I had made a
total screw up.

Here I was, the person making the loudest public commitment and
organizing this thing and then I am the one breaking the commitment.

Let me re-group and think of a way to make up for my error. I have a
lot of core-level changes going on in life from many fronts and I just
lost my focus on what I should have been doing.

I sincerely apologize and I'm totally embarrassed.

Thanks,

Rocky Hardie
512-940-5408 cell

Skip Guenter

May 20, 2009, 10:29:49 AM5/20/09
to ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
I've got the perfect solution... we'll just do it again but this time at
Bien Hoa restaurant in Hutto :-D