Re: Karmic Koala 9.10 Release Parties

Daniel Roesler

Oct 15, 2009, 5:12:29 PM10/15/09
to Dustin Kirkland, ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
I've been to Karma once or twice. More of club than a bar. The times I
went it was specially reserved for some organization's event. Usually
a rope line outside at night for general public.

You might want to call ahead and see if they are booked that evening.
I'm assuming the release party would be in the early evening, so you
wouldn't have to worry about it being dark and loud and crowded.

Probably no cover until 9pm or so, but I would highly recommend
calling ahead and discussing options. I don't think a lot of people
would come if they had to pay $10 to get in the door for FREE
software.

Avast!
Daniel Roesler
dia...@gmail.com

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Dustin Kirkland
<dustin....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 11:22 PM, Daniel Roesler <dia...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This list has been dormant for a while, so I hope people are still
>> subscribed. I was wondering if we could have some announcements about
>> local Karmic release parties. I know Houston is gearing up for a
>> party, and I think Austin is planning on having something at a bar
>> called Karma (literally). Are there other local groups planning
>> events? We should publish these on the ubuntu's wiki
>> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicReleaseParties) and post meeting info
>> here.
>
> Hi Daniel-
>
> Yeah, I am planning a small get-together at Karma in Austin.  It's not
> exactly a place I frequent (never been there, actually), but the name
> was too good to pass up.  Especially since we did the last release
> party at The Jackalope on 6th Street (and maybe the next one at the
> Lynx Bar and Grill?).
>
> I'll post the details on the wiki, as well as my blog,
> http://blog.dustinkirkland.com.
>
> Cheers,
> :-Dustin

Dustin Kirkland

Oct 15, 2009, 5:20:07 PM10/15/09
to Daniel Roesler, ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Daniel Roesler <dia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been to Karma once or twice. More of club than a bar. The times I
> went it was specially reserved for some organization's event. Usually
> a rope line outside at night for general public.
>
> You might want to call ahead and see if they are booked that evening.
> I'm assuming the release party would be in the early evening, so you
> wouldn't have to worry about it being dark and loud and crowded.

Oh, hmm, good call. I just left a message.

Fall back plan: Aussie's (re: "koala").

:-Dustin

Dustin Kirkland

Oct 22, 2009, 5:33:08 PM10/22/09
to Daniel Roesler, ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
Howdy all!

So unfortunately, the Karma Bar doesn't open until 9pm, so let's head
over to plan B (and perhaps do an after-party at Karma...)

Join us between 6pm - 9pm on Thursday, October 29, 2009 at Aussie's
Grill and Beach Bar, at 306 Barton Springs Road, just east of the
corner of Riverside and Barton Springs Road, south of the river. I
figured an Australian-themed bar would have to work, in honor of the
home of our lovely mascot, the Karmic Koala!

Burning CD's is so '90s... If you'd like a bootable/installable copy
of Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, bring an empty USB stick, 1GB or bigger,
and we'll gladly burn an image for you. There should be a couple of
laptops demoing the new release. I'm planning on bringing two, to demo
the Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud (UEC), powered by Eucalyptus, which I've
been working on for the last few months.

Full announcement at:
* http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2009/10/austins-karmic-release-party.html

Cheers,
:-Dustin

Stephen Burke

Oct 23, 2009, 10:15:24 AM10/23/09
to ubuntu...@googlegroups.com
I'm planning on showing up.  Right now my wife is about 8.5 months
pregnant so barring the unexpeced/expected I'll see everyone there.

Steve

Rocky

Oct 24, 2009, 7:19:39 AM10/24/09
to ubuntu-austin
I have it in my calendar to be there.

Maybe I'll bring my camera and photograph everyone for my web site.

Rocky Hardie
www.TheRockyHardiePictureShow.com