[ubunchu!] Chapter 8? If you guys ever finish the translation, I might be able to typeset.

291 views
Skip to first unread message

Eric Appleman

unread,
Nov 29, 2011, 12:55:30 PM11/29/11
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
I'm not the most skilled scanlator out there but I managed to do the
scanning, cleaning, and typesetting for 100+ chapters of Inuyasha.

I figured I'd step up since I'm not in the least happy with how the
long-awaited chapter 6 turned out. Poor text placement and LtR piss me off.

- Eric

Eric Appleman

unread,
Nov 29, 2011, 12:56:45 PM11/29/11
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com

Martin Owens

unread,
Nov 29, 2011, 4:04:59 PM11/29/11
to Eric Appleman, ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
Off you go.

This is a no-complaint, just fucking do it community. If you're not
happy with something, you don't moan about it in a rather passive
aggressive manner, you redo the work I put in and I will happily update
the website with your version.

Martin,

JonathanMM

unread,
Nov 29, 2011, 4:07:29 PM11/29/11
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
The french release is in Work in Progress ;)
JonathanMM

Yuen Hoe Lim

unread,
Nov 30, 2011, 1:36:13 AM11/30/11
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
Hi :)

In case you're thinking of fixing/redoing chapter 6, consider including the following amendments suggested by me and Anton way back when:

- Page 4 top panel, I don't suppose it's possible to fit in the full name of the SICP book? It's a fairly well-known book after all and I think the reference adds a small touch of hidden geek-delight to the scene. At least for me >.< Here's an image of the original book cover: http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/cover.jpg

- Next panel, the bubble that says "Girls have such a weak spot for magic" is said by Akane in the original but here it sounds like it's a continuation of Akiha's speech. Not sure if that's intentional, but if we're still attributing that bubble to Akane then maybe something like "Girls are weak against magic yknow" would be better if the one in the googledoc takes too much space.

- Page 5 panel 3, I think what Akane said in the original had a "oh the odds are so stacked against me and so I can't help it, I'm going to yield!" sort of vibe. So maybe a better shortening would be something like "Alright! I guess there's no helping it... I'll sell my soul to this demon!"

(with perhaps "You even have my husband hostage" in small print. Not really important I guess, but I just thought the hostage part was pretty funny :P )


Page 4, first panel: it'd be better to use smaller text and/or allow part of "structure" to be obscured by the edge of the panel than to get the name wrong on the cover since we're referencing a book that not only exists, but is very well known and commonly regarded almost as a holy tome (along with the dragon book, it's pretty much required reading for any serious computer scientist.) Also, could we find a better way to express Akane's giddiness at getting the book? "Yes!" doesn't really convey giddy to me. :/ (But feel free to tell me that it should if I'm wrong; I'm not a native speaker after all.)
Page 4, second panel: the line about girls having a soft spot for magic belongs to Akane, not Akiha, so the placing is wrong and the derogatory re-wording doesn't fit. (Also changed the spreadsheet to "soft spot" from "weak spot;" I thought it worked slightly better.)

Page 7, panels 5 and 6: I noticed that you omitted the "sleep deprived to the limit" thing so I took a second look at the translation and realized that it was stupid. Changed it in the spreadsheet to "Because of Akiha's stupid errands" / "I just want to lie down and sleep for a week" - we might want to include it, to give an even stronger indicator of Akane being less-than-happy with Akiha's requirements for lending her the wizard book.

Page 8, first panel: how did "Ubuntu" turn into "Risa"?
Page 8, second panel here's where "Risa" should go.
Page 8, fourth panel: "welcome, Karmic" omitted. Doesn't really add anything to the story, but I thought I should point it out if you forgot it rather than cut it out.

Also, seconding the "holding my husband hostage" (though betrothed or some synonym thereof would be more consistent with earler dialogue) bit, I think that'd work pretty well!

Meanwhile I'll go take a look at what's still missing in the spreadsheet for chapter 8. I had thought we finished it.

----
Jason "moofang" Lim Yuen Hoe
http://yuenhoe.com/

Yuen Hoe Lim

unread,
Nov 30, 2011, 2:10:45 AM11/30/11
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
Okay I did a run through of the spreadsheet and filled in the missing SFX sounds with my best estimates since no one seems to have been able to put in something better. Also made some minor amendments and also fixed the positioning of some of the romaji transcriptions. Didn't pay too much attention to that last though, especially since the romaji used appears to be a different form from what I'm used to.

Anyway, I think the English translation is complete now, just post if you need anything else on the spreadsheet.


----
Jason "moofang" Lim Yuen Hoe
http://yuenhoe.com/



Anton Ekblad

unread,
Oct 10, 2012, 6:01:11 AM10/10/12
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
The sources can be found at Seotch-san's blog: http://www.aerialline.com/comics/ubunchu/episode08

On Wednesday, 10 October 2012 11:46:31 UTC+2, pd12 wrote:
Oh cool!
Is there a section in google groups for the google group's documents? Or are there just links in these posts?

I see the translation is pretty much complete, I'll start cleaning/typesetting.
Is there an already cleaned version somewhere?

Regards,

Anton Ekblad

unread,
Oct 10, 2012, 6:05:16 AM10/10/12
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
Also, it would be great to know if anyone is willing to typeset chapters 9, 10 and 11; starting translation on them feels a bit pointless if the scripts are just going to be lying around for a year or two.

pd12

unread,
Oct 10, 2012, 6:09:39 AM10/10/12
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
I'd be willing to do it depending on how chapter 8 goes.
But I am falling in like? for this series so I'd most likely have it (ch9) finished before summer holidays are over (I'm from Australia, so that's Dec-Jan).

I was also considering translating it myself if no one did, even if my translations are horrible.
Will you link me to the spreadsheet or doc of the translation when you're done? (Perhaps put them in a new topic...) Thanks heaps! Great to know someone else can translate!

pd12

unread,
Oct 10, 2012, 6:38:38 AM10/10/12
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I saw that and have all the sources downloaded from aerialline =)
Just wasn't sure if someone cleaned it already.
I'm planning to do RTL, is there a RTL warning page for ch8?

Also, for the spreadsheet, I had to check revision history because someone (can't tell who, didn't sign in) seems to have (probably unwittlingly) cleared and edited giberish into a cell.
Would you mind checking the translations for me? (my revisions are under vcgamesii)

Thanks,

Yuen Hoe Lim

unread,
Oct 10, 2012, 6:52:11 AM10/10/12
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
I can typeset in my subpar, gimp-based, non-vector way if we need it and don't mind having gimp sources rather than nice vector image sources. That's all I know how to do :)

----
Lim Yuen Hoe, Jason (moofang)
http://yuenhoe.com/

Blek

unread,
Oct 11, 2012, 3:14:59 AM10/11/12
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Yuen Hoe Lim <yuen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can typeset in my subpar, gimp-based, non-vector way if we need it and
> don't mind having gimp sources rather than nice vector image sources. That's
> all I know how to do :)
>

Please do. :)

Yuen Hoe Lim

unread,
Oct 11, 2012, 4:04:26 AM10/11/12
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
Also, for the spreadsheet, I had to check revision history because someone (can't tell who, didn't sign in) seems to have (probably unwittlingly) cleared and edited giberish into a cell. 
Would you mind checking the translations for me? (my revisions are under vcgamesii)

I just did a quick look through. Everything looks okay, except Page 4 Panel 5 background text:

"This is hypothesis still within reason"

That sounded a little weird to me, was the that original translation? I think "This is still reasonable" or "This much is still reasonable" might be better.

Otherwise looks good. If you plan to typeset this then that'll be best since I have no experience and expertise, so we should only use me to hack things together as last resort :P

pd12

unread,
Oct 11, 2012, 12:03:50 PM10/11/12
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
I changed it to "This analogy is still within reason." or acceptable bounds if that fits better? Please write in/comment on the spreadsheet itself because that'll be what I'll be referring to when I typeset.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoU0j7W2_dPTdEFHTmczRVZHdjBhWnRVMl9nMlNDQWc#gid=0

I haven't typeset much myself and haven't done much work in GIMP (pretty much none in photoshop). Here's my first page of typesetting in Ubunchu. It's not perfect but I think it's acceptable, might touch it up a bit more, and maybe warp the text on the note, though not sure of the procedure for that.
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp160/peacedudes12/Shared_WebUploads/ubunchu08_0011.png

I definitely would be glad to get some help either in advice or typesetting of other pages. It'll definitely make for faster releases (I'm entering exam period soon). If you keep your GIMP .xcf images and all the layers (don't flatten them and use layers for every typeset) then someone/I'll be able to touch them up if needed. Just pick some pages to do =).
Fonts I'm using: Main speech - Anime Ace 2.0, Notes: Felt Thin, SFX/Shouts: Yikes! , That 'Though it was indeed a very brief moment' - Augie, (Also Monospace for the terminal font and Ubuntu Bold for 'Flash'. Forgot what font I used for 'Stomp' >< (once I transform text, I lose font info and can't edit the text) but I think there's a better font for it, not sure what though (I thought Snap ITC but that's a bit off).

I also realised the aerialline.com sources have layers for everything so there's pretty much no cleaning work needed! =D Makes working on source files so much easier xD. Just turn off the visibility of layers you don't need like all the Japanese text =P

Regards,

Anton Ekblad

unread,
Oct 12, 2012, 1:31:00 AM10/12/12
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com


On Thursday, 11 October 2012 18:03:50 UTC+2, pd12 wrote:
I changed it to "This analogy is still within reason." or acceptable bounds if that fits better? Please write in/comment on the spreadsheet itself because that'll be what I'll be referring to when I typeset.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoU0j7W2_dPTdEFHTmczRVZHdjBhWnRVMl9nMlNDQWc#gid=0

Looks good to me. IIRC, moofang did most of the work on this chapter, so he probably remembers more of it than I do.

I haven't typeset much myself and haven't done much work in GIMP (pretty much none in photoshop). Here's my first page of typesetting in Ubunchu. It's not perfect but I think it's acceptable, might touch it up a bit more, and maybe warp the text on the note, though not sure of the procedure for that.
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp160/peacedudes12/Shared_WebUploads/ubunchu08_0011.png

I think it looks pretty nice. Definitely good enough by scanlation standards, and I don't think we'll be able to rise above that (even doujinshi look pretty darn good nowadays) without going all vector on it.
 

I definitely would be glad to get some help either in advice or typesetting of other pages. It'll definitely make for faster releases (I'm entering exam period soon). If you keep your GIMP .xcf images and all the layers (don't flatten them and use layers for every typeset) then someone/I'll be able to touch them up if needed. Just pick some pages to do =).
 
Fonts I'm using: Main speech - Anime Ace 2.0, Notes: Felt Thin, SFX/Shouts: Yikes! , That 'Though it was indeed a very brief moment' - Augie, (Also Monospace for the terminal font and Ubuntu Bold for 'Flash'. Forgot what font I used for 'Stomp' >< (once I transform text, I lose font info and can't edit the text) but I think there's a better font for it, not sure what though (I thought Snap ITC but that's a bit off).

Is the license of Anime Ace OK? It seems to be free for "independent comic book creation and non-profit use ONLY" which I guess would be OK since the CC-BY-NC is also non-profit only. [Long rant about "non-commercial" being a completely useless term and licenses depending on it being even more useless, etc.]
 
I also realised the aerialline.com sources have layers for everything so there's pretty much no cleaning work needed! =D Makes working on source files so much easier xD. Just turn off the visibility of layers you don't need like all the Japanese text =P

This is why I was a little confused about the "cleaned sources" question. Best part about working on Ubunchu: no bloody cleaning, redrawing, levelling, etc. of crappy low-res scans.

Martin Owens

unread,
Oct 12, 2012, 1:38:05 AM10/12/12
to Anton Ekblad, ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 2012-10-11 at 22:31 -0700, Anton Ekblad wrote:
> I haven't typeset much myself and haven't done much work in GIMP
> (pretty
> > much none in photoshop). Here's my first page of typesetting in
> Ubunchu.
> > It's not perfect but I think it's acceptable, might touch it up a
> bit more,
> > and maybe warp the text on the note, though not sure of the
> procedure for
> > that.

I wanted to be jealous and pick out faults. But the point here is that
you have none, it's a great type set with some nice and smooth work.

The only thing different I would have done is removing the double
vertical bubbles and replaced with a horz one. but that's just
aesthetics. As it is it's perfect.

Keep up the good work guys!

Martin,

Jordan Shikany

unread,
Oct 12, 2012, 8:16:09 AM10/12/12
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com

Please do! I dont have photoshop so i cant do much with the source, but i have gimp!

Sylvain Ribeyrot

unread,
Oct 17, 2012, 4:08:11 AM10/17/12
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
then, try gimp !

2012/10/12, Jordan Shikany <chase...@gmail.com>:
> Please do! I dont have photoshop so i cant do much with the source, but i
> have gimp!
> On Oct 10, 2012 6:52 AM, "Yuen Hoe Lim" <yuen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I can typeset in my subpar, gimp-based, non-vector way if we need it and
>> don't mind having gimp sources rather than nice vector image sources.
>> That's all I know how to do :)
>>
>> ----
>> Lim Yuen Hoe, Jason (moofang)
>> http://yuenhoe.com/
>>
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 6:38 PM, pd12 <vcga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, I saw that and have all the sources downloaded from aerialline =)
>>> Just wasn't sure if someone cleaned it already.
>>> I'm planning to do RTL, is there a RTL warning page for ch8?
>>>
>>> Also, for the spreadsheet, I had to check revision history because
>>> someone (can't tell who, didn't sign in) seems to have (probably
>>> unwittlingly) cleared and edited giberish into a cell.
>>> Would you mind checking the translations for me? (my revisions are under
>>> vcgamesii)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Wednesday, 10 October 2012 21:01:11 UTC+11, Anton Ekblad wrote:
>>>>
>>>> The sources can be found at Seotch-san's blog: http://www.aerialline.**
>>>> com/comics/ubunchu/episode08<http://www.aerialline.com/comics/ubunchu/episode08>
>>>>
>>>> On Wednesday, 10 October 2012 11:46:31 UTC+2, pd12 wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Oh cool!
>>>>> Is there a section in google groups for the google group's documents?
>>>>> Or are there just links in these posts?
>>>>>
>>>>> I see the translation is pretty much complete, I'll start
>>>>> cleaning/typesetting.
>>>>> Is there an already cleaned version somewhere?
>>>>>
>>>>> Regards,
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> On Wednesday, 30 November 2011 04:56:45 UTC+11, Starks wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On 11/29/2011 12:55 PM, Eric Appleman wrote:
>>>>>> > I'm not the most skilled scanlator out there but I managed to do
>>>>>> > the
>>>>>> > scanning, cleaning, and typesetting for 100+ chapters of Inuyasha.
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> > I figured I'd step up since I'm not in the least happy with how the
>>>>>> > long-awaited chapter 6 turned out. Poor text placement and LtR piss
>>>>>> me
>>>>>> > off.
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> > - Eric
>>>>>> Spreadsheet, in case you guys forgot:
>>>>>> https://docs.google.com/**spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CI_**
>>>>>> m9pMC&key=0AoU0j7W2_**dPTdEFHTmczRVZHdjBhWnRVMl9nMlN**
>>>>>> DQWc&hl=en_US&authkey=CI_**m9pMC#gid=0<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CI_m9pMC&key=0AoU0j7W2_dPTdEFHTmczRVZHdjBhWnRVMl9nMlNDQWc&hl=en_US&authkey=CI_m9pMC#gid=0>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>
>

Sylvain Ribeyrot

unread,
Oct 17, 2012, 4:10:23 AM10/17/12
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
> > much none in photoshop). Here's my first page of typesetting in
> Ubunchu.
where is this first page ?

2012/10/12, Martin Owens <doct...@gmail.com>:

pd12

unread,
Oct 18, 2012, 2:45:59 AM10/18/12
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

The "First page" was the first page I did (which was actually the last page of the chapter).
I just did the first page of the chapter (excluding title page <- that one would be tricky =P).
Here are links:
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp160/peacedudes12/Shared_WebUploads/ubunchu08_0002.png
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp160/peacedudes12/Shared_WebUploads/ubunchu08_0011.png

@Jordan, I'm using GIMP (lol no money for Photoshop, and why would you need photoshop when GIMP is so good already - unless one really needed to use a photoshop plugin not offered in GIMP and didn't have other FOSS solutions). Have fun with GIMP! (If you're into media, might I also suggest Inkscape, Audacity, Aegisub, Handbrake, Open Shot Video editor (Linux) as my personal favourite FOSS in what they do.)

I finish my exams in 4 weeks, so don't expect too much. I'll probably only be typesetting when I'm taking a break from study etc.
Constructive criticisms welcome!

--pd12 / vcg

Sylvain Ribeyrot

unread,
Oct 18, 2012, 8:45:37 AM10/18/12
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
i like also foss :

www.abul.org

www.giroll.org

framasoft.org

see if you want !

Else your work about ubunchu it's clear, very nice to watch on pc !
I think also that is best than french ubunchu.
I wish you good continuation.

Friendly Sylvai...@gmail.com

Welcome in this aventure !

Else do you speak other language ?

Nice to meet you and see you soon




2012/10/18, pd12 <vcga...@gmail.com>:
> Hi All,
>
> The "First page" was the first page I did (which was actually the last page
>
> of the chapter).
> I just did the first page of the chapter (excluding title page <- that one
> would be tricky =P).
> Here are links:
> http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp160/peacedudes12/Shared_WebUploads/ubunchu08_0002.png
> http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp160/peacedudes12/Shared_WebUploads/ubunchu08_0011.png
>
> @Jordan, I'm using GIMP (lol no money for Photoshop, and why would you need
>
> photoshop when GIMP is so good already - unless one really needed to use a
> photoshop plugin not offered in GIMP and didn't have other FOSS solutions).
>
> Have fun with GIMP! (If you're into media, might I also suggest Inkscape,
> Audacity, Aegisub, Handbrake, Open Shot Video editor (Linux) as my personal
>
> favourite FOSS in what they do.)
>
> I finish my exams in 4 weeks, so don't expect too much. I'll probably only
> be typesetting when I'm taking a break from study etc.
> Constructive criticisms welcome!
>
> --pd12 / vcg
>
>
> On Wednesday, 17 October 2012 19:10:24 UTC+11, Sysy wrote:
>>
>> > > much none in photoshop). Here's my first page of typesetting in
>> > Ubunchu.
>> where is this first page ?
>>
>> 2012/10/12, Martin Owens <doct...@gmail.com <javascript:>>:

Blek

unread,
Oct 19, 2012, 3:08:54 AM10/19/12
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 2:45 PM, pd12 <vcga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> The "First page" was the first page I did (which was actually the last page
> of the chapter).
> I just did the first page of the chapter (excluding title page <- that one
> would be tricky =P).
> Here are links:
> http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp160/peacedudes12/Shared_WebUploads/ubunchu08_0002.png
> http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp160/peacedudes12/Shared_WebUploads/ubunchu08_0011.png
>

Looks good and promising. :D

pd12

unread,
Dec 4, 2012, 8:12:39 AM12/4/12
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com, black...@gmail.com

Thanks, =)

Just an update, exams are over, I'm about more than halfway thru the chapter, and need to know who to credit.
Also, does anyone have a credit (and read this RtL) page, otherwise I'll have to make one ...

Sylvain Ribeyrot

unread,
Dec 4, 2012, 10:47:46 AM12/4/12
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
Excuse-me what mean credit in english else you will make what ?

When i will understand maybe I will can answer something because I
searche in my dictionary

Thank for read me

2012/12/4, pd12 <vcga...@gmail.com>:
>
> Thanks, =)
>
> Just an update, exams are over, I'm about more than halfway thru the
> chapter, and need to know who to credit.
> Also, does anyone have a credit (and read this RtL) page, otherwise I'll
> have to make one ...
>
>
>
> On Friday, 19 October 2012 15:08:55 UTC+8, blek wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 2:45 PM, pd12 <vcga...@gmail.com <javascript:>>

pd12

unread,
Dec 4, 2012, 10:56:57 PM12/4/12
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
Things I need:

1. Credits: I need to know who were the:
translators, editers, typesetters (me lol), QC etc. To keep things simple I may just do two categories: translator and editor/typesetter.
I really only need the translators that worked on the google doc (I don't know which google account is who, apart from you Sysy lol, but what name do you want to be credited as?), as the editor should only be me and perhaps Martin/others if he QCs.

2. RtL page: This is page 2 of http://divajutta.com/doctormo/ubunchu/ubunchu-05-rtl.pdf or page 2 of any rtl pdf from ubunchu.net
If we don't have one already done for this chapter, I'll make one. I don't think I found one for the other language translations I could use.
At first I thought our credits go on this page but apparently it goes on the front page. I do like to keep the original artwork as un-obscured by new stuff like credits as possible though.

--pd12

(P.S. great job on restoring ubunchu.net btw)

Blek

unread,
Dec 5, 2012, 12:22:49 AM12/5/12
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 11:56 AM, pd12 <vcga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Things I need:
>
> 1. Credits: I need to know who were the:
> translators, editers, typesetters (me lol), QC etc. To keep things simple I
> may just do two categories: translator and editor/typesetter.
> I really only need the translators that worked on the google doc (I don't
> know which google account is who, apart from you Sysy lol, but what name do
> you want to be credited as?), as the editor should only be me and perhaps
> Martin/others if he QCs.
>
> 2. RtL page: This is page 2 of
> http://divajutta.com/doctormo/ubunchu/ubunchu-05-rtl.pdf or page 2 of any
> rtl pdf from ubunchu.net
> If we don't have one already done for this chapter, I'll make one. I don't
> think I found one for the other language translations I could use.
> At first I thought our credits go on this page but apparently it goes on the
> front page. I do like to keep the original artwork as un-obscured by new
> stuff like credits as possible though.
>
> --pd12
>

Since everybody here can contribute to that translation file on
googledocs, just use ubunchu translator team or something like that,
with the full url of this mailing list
(http://groups.google.com/group/ubunchu)

For the RTL page, of course you can always make a new one. :)
If you like the original artwork intact, you can always make the
credit page as the last page.

Sylvain Ribeyrot

unread,
Dec 5, 2012, 5:35:52 AM12/5/12
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
for grafic modifications , in the text et smx in english language :

Jordan (ask to Owen Martin).

for "release end" : Martin Owen

For google documents (google drive now):

O.Martin, VGC(you=PD2) et me (transcriptor CC by NC in romanji) for
beginning during 2 month (july and august 2010) , I had help in UB6
and UB8 french

and update by VCG for many modification (2011/2012) for UB8 english

I send more explanation if neccessary

For me just "SYSY" is enough for romanji transcriptor , I will can
help very much with my 2 month of research of 2010. I just scan my
paper, but i don't know if anyone will can understand the way to work
with these explanation for translation.

I will send certainly one page scan tomorrow for see if anyone will
see the interest of this initiative.

If this ok , page by page , i think it will be a good idea to progress quickly

Sylvain Ribeyrot

unread,
Dec 6, 2012, 8:50:15 AM12/6/12
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
I send one party about my research to try to translate ubunchu 8 ,
just the first page (1) . I will send the others pages, if you will
"interested" to know more .

Explantion about T,M,N on my paper scan (ubunchu 8 page 1)



N=New Nelson Edition => isbn:0804820368 with
google=http://books.google.fr/books?id=GKAPAAAAYAAJ&dq=isbn:0804820368&hl=fr


M=Memento page => isbn:2950167748 with google
http://books.google.fr/books?id=EuOWAAAACAAJ&dq=isbn:2950167748&hl=fr


T= stroke

For information :I send quickly with french word but my dictionary is
not french

You have link about my book reference which served me to find kanji
explanation by crossing possiblities

At soon..... perhaps for next time... with other explanations Sysy

PS:I send also my appromimative romanji transcription about page1 ub8 (548kb)




2012/12/5, Sylvain Ribeyrot <sylvai...@gmail.com>:
ub8Page1rectoTransSysy.jpg
ub8Page1TransSysy.jpg
ub8Page1versoTransSysy.jpg

Blek

unread,
Dec 6, 2012, 12:12:27 PM12/6/12
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 9:50 PM, Sylvain Ribeyrot <sylvai...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I send one party about my research to try to translate ubunchu 8 ,
> just the first page (1) . I will send the others pages, if you will
> "interested" to know more .
>
> Explantion about T,M,N on my paper scan (ubunchu 8 page 1)
>
>
>
> N=New Nelson Edition => isbn:0804820368 with
> google=http://books.google.fr/books?id=GKAPAAAAYAAJ&dq=isbn:0804820368&hl=fr
>
>
> M=Memento page => isbn:2950167748 with google
> http://books.google.fr/books?id=EuOWAAAACAAJ&dq=isbn:2950167748&hl=fr
>
>
> T= stroke
>
> For information :I send quickly with french word but my dictionary is
> not french
>
> You have link about my book reference which served me to find kanji
> explanation by crossing possiblities
>
> At soon..... perhaps for next time... with other explanations Sysy
>
> PS:I send also my appromimative romanji transcription about page1 ub8 (548kb)
>


That's some heavy works you got there. :D Thanks. :)
Are you still working for chapter 08? Because actually, it is already
finished. Now, all's left for chapter 08 is to put the words back into
manga. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CI_m9pMC&key=0AoU0j7W2_dPTdEFHTmczRVZHdjBhWnRVMl9nMlNDQWc&hl=en_US&authkey=CI_m9pMC#gid=0

Sorry if I don't really get your e-mail. English is not my primary language. :)
Btw, it takes me a while to realize that "Bruitage and Ecran" are "SFX
and Computers", not new manga characters. =))

Sylvain Ribeyrot

unread,
Dec 7, 2012, 5:36:42 AM12/7/12
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
I have others explanation, for just

you could see SFX :

http://www.ubunchu-fr.org and choose episode 8

which are already translated

Because it will be so complex to explain for you.
Else I have the entire UB8 r omanji
I had participate to the japeneese/french translation but i hope very
much to see soon the english translation.

I will many other countries for translation if it possible, I will
help to coordinate this manga everywhere in the world because the
manganka is a very good designer.

2012/12/6, Blek <black...@gmail.com>:

Anton Ekblad

unread,
Dec 7, 2012, 6:12:19 AM12/7/12
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com, black...@gmail.com
IIRC, moofang did the main part of the translation work on chapter 8. (Looking at the revision history of the spreadsheet confirms this.)

Blek

unread,
Dec 7, 2012, 6:58:29 PM12/7/12
to Anton Ekblad, ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Anton Ekblad <an...@ekblad.cc> wrote:
> IIRC, moofang did the main part of the translation work on chapter 8.
> (Looking at the revision history of the spreadsheet confirms this.)
>

Then so be it. :)
Bunch of thanks goes to moofang. :D

Sylvain Ribeyrot

unread,
Dec 12, 2012, 11:20:14 AM12/12/12
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
Example N=100 mean 100 (the hundredth position in Nelson Dictionnary)

2012/12/6, Sylvain Ribeyrot <sylvai...@gmail.com>:

Sylvain Ribeyrot

unread,
May 21, 2013, 9:42:17 AM5/21/13
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
12 and 13 also already in romanji ;-)


2012/10/10 pd12 <vcga...@gmail.com>

pd12

unread,
May 21, 2013, 11:31:27 AM5/21/13
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
Lol, thanks =)
I've got all the ch.8 pages done, just need to QA/QC and make the fonts uniform and look nice.
(In assignment week atm, so might not get that released in the next 7 days).

For the credits, i just did translators as: Anton Ekbald, Sysw, me, and Ubunchu team
I also put the typesetter as me, and added a link to http://groups.google.com/group/ubunchu
When I release it do I have to send it in for further QC or can I release it to the world from my blog?

Yuen Hoe Lim

unread,
May 21, 2013, 11:36:05 AM5/21/13
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
Wow, activity :) been busy and more or less forgot about all this.

Btw, would be great if you could add me to the translators list, since I did most of it (for english) for chapter 8. Either by name or just as "Jason moofang" would be fine. Thanks :)

----
Lim Yuen Hoe, Jason (moofang)
http://yuenhoe.com/


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ubunchu!" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ubunchu-transla...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

Anton Ekblad

unread,
May 21, 2013, 11:44:08 AM5/21/13
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
I suggest pestering everyone here about doing QC; eyeballs and bugs, you know.

Over at Little White Butterflies there's a requirement for at least three people to QC and OK any release. In spite of that mistakes still slip through, sometimes bad enough to necessitate a V2 - Ubunchu has quite a bit more dialogue than most LWB stuff, so it's probably a good idea to assume that we'll make both more and worse mistakes.

Sylvain Ribeyrot

unread,
May 22, 2013, 8:41:37 AM5/22/13
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
LWB ? what is it ? I don't understood !!! thanks


2013/5/21 Anton Ekblad <an...@ekblad.cc>

Blek

unread,
May 22, 2013, 11:27:05 AM5/22/13
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 8:41 PM, Sylvain Ribeyrot
<sylvai...@gmail.com> wrote:
> LWB ? what is it ? I don't understood !!! thanks
>

Err... Luck? :)

pd12

unread,
Sep 10, 2013, 6:56:37 AM9/10/13
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
OK, so I have holidays again so I've finally done some work on it. But I cbs'd QA/QC'ing it majorly/properly and thought I'd just push out a version 0.2 out to everyone for a review. Can't believe it's been 1 year since I started. Talk about stalled projects >_> Being my first official release though, other ones should take less time =)
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B--r92YeA5ApOEp1eUY0Skxhb00/edit?usp=sharing

Please post your comments on what doesn't work (maybe what does work as well =) )

Thanks,
Vince

Yuen Hoe Lim

unread,
Sep 10, 2013, 7:26:35 AM9/10/13
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
Took a quick look, don't see any major issues, nice job :) Some minor issues:

- You spelled dependencies as dependancies in a few panels
- Ekblad's name is mispelled in the first page's credits
- I'm still missing from the translator's list :( Please add me (as "Jason moofang", or "Lim Yuen Hoe") as I did most of the translating for this chapter.


----
Lim Yuen Hoe, Jason (moofang)
http://yuenhoe.com/


Anton Ekblad

unread,
Sep 11, 2013, 4:33:09 AM9/11/13
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
Looks good to me apart from the issues Jason mentioned. Considering the division of work on this chapter, wouldn't it make more sense to put him as the sole translator and everyone else listed under translation as "translation check"? That's how we usually do it in LWB (and, I dare say, nearly every other translation group).

Blek

unread,
Sep 12, 2013, 11:59:47 AM9/12/13
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Anton Ekblad <an...@ekblad.cc> wrote:
> Looks good to me apart from the issues Jason mentioned. Considering the
> division of work on this chapter, wouldn't it make more sense to put him as
> the sole translator and everyone else listed under translation as
> "translation check"? That's how we usually do it in LWB (and, I dare say,
> nearly every other translation group).

Fote +1
He deserve it.

Sylvain Ribeyrot

unread,
Sep 16, 2013, 9:55:35 AM9/16/13
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
Just to say that for the next chapters Ubunchu (9-13) is already in
romaji but not in English.

To say that, if there releases, here should go faster, because here is
a moment I'm on it.

I'm 14 and I started on the 15th.
This week, I have already done the "préromanisation".
As of this afternoon, I take care of romanization, I think finally
here within 10 days.

Then I start the 15;-)

For info:

Nothing will come out before the formalization of the release 9.

Otherwise, for GoogleDoc I wait the signal as everyone.

For that, I support the group and that readers are not left without
news or we abandoned the translation.


2013/5/21, Yuen Hoe Lim <yuen...@gmail.com>:
> Wow, activity :) been busy and more or less forgot about all this.
>
> Btw, would be great if you could add me to the translators list, since I
> did most of it (for english) for chapter 8. Either by name or just as
> "Jason moofang" would be fine. Thanks :)
>
> ----
> Lim Yuen Hoe, Jason (moofang)
> http://yuenhoe.com/
>
>
> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 11:31 PM, pd12 <vcga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Lol, thanks =)
>> I've got all the ch.8 pages done, just need to QA/QC and make the fonts
>> uniform and look nice.
>> (In assignment week atm, so might not get that released in the next 7
>> days).
>>
>> For the credits, i just did translators as: Anton Ekbald, Sysw, me, and
>> Ubunchu team
>> I also put the typesetter as me, and added a link to
>> http://groups.google.com/**group/ubunchu<http://groups.google.com/group/ubunchu>

pd12

unread,
Oct 14, 2013, 10:53:23 PM10/14/13
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com

Version 1.0 here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B--r92YeA5ApOTlKek5tRkJoYjA/edit?usp=sharing
Hope it makes its way onto the website =) Any problems, please tell me so I can make a revision (v1.1)
I've also posted it to my blog.

Next time I think instead of dragging out the project and working on it whenever I felt like, I'd do it scheduled within a short period of time haha, makes it easier to remember what I was doing. Summer/Christmas holidays soon for Australia =)

Regards,
pd12

Anton Ekblad

unread,
Oct 18, 2013, 7:30:35 AM10/18/13
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
Great! I have some free time this weekend, so I might start working on the next chapter then. (Unless somebody already did; I haven't checked.)

Sylvain Ribeyrot

unread,
Oct 18, 2013, 11:03:43 AM10/18/13
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
I already finish to transcript in romanji this next (9) and soon
others (14 and 15) in November. (I already finish the kanji research)
I'm waiting the official releases 9,10,11,12,13,14,15 and I will
looking forward the sixteenth one day.

;-) I will help you when it will possible. Sysy
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages