Mallard Hybrid?

David L Walton

Jul 24, 2022, 5:51:42 PM7/24/22
to UBIRD - Utah Birds and Birders
Saw this hybrid among the Canada geese and Mallards at FlowServe in Springville.

Does anyone want to venture a guess as to its parentage?
Hybrid Mallard.jpeg

Jeff Cooper

Jul 24, 2022, 8:37:40 PM7/24/22
to David L Walton, UBIRD - Utah Birds and Birders
Hi, David. Check out Pied Call Duck. They are quite varied in appearance from what I've seen, but I noticed one at Flowserve back in February. It may be the same individual you observed and shared in your image.

Kind regards,
Jeff

On Sun, Jul 24, 2022 at 3:51 PM David L Walton <dlwal...@gmail.com> wrote:
Saw this hybrid among the Canada geese and Mallards at FlowServe in Springville.

Does anyone want to venture a guess as to its parentage?

Visit us at http://www.utahbirders.com
Places to Bird in Utah: http://utahbirdingspots.blogspot.com/
Read Our Blog: http://utahbirders.blogspot.com
See Our Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/groups/utahbirders/pool/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "UBIRD - Utah Birds and Birders" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ubird/317015b7-6f16-4026-8a84-332699055c04n%40googlegroups.com.

David Wheeler

Jul 28, 2022, 3:07:55 PM7/28/22
to Jeff Cooper, David L Walton, UBIRD - Utah Birds and Birders
David,
It's what is derisively called a "pond duck."  Mallards in parks and other urban ponds often show varying degrees of domestic genes because domestic-type ducks often back-cross with wild mallards.  Some can have absolutely stunning colors.  This one looks like a classic mix of white domestic mallard with a wild-type mallard.  This is what I list as "Mallard (Domestic type)" in eBird.

~David Wheeler