Trying to run examples

sano

Mar 15, 2010, 2:21:09 AM3/15/10
to Ubiquity XForms Developers
Hi, I have copied the example listed on the
http://code.google.com/p/ubiquity-xforms/wiki/UsingTheLibrary page and
tried to run it in Firefox 3.5.8 as well as in IE 8.06. On both
browsers it takes some time to load all ubiquity modules before form
is rendered on the page. In FF after the UXF scripts are loaded the
page goes blank - nothing is shown (tested also on Mac on FF 3.6). In
IE on Windows the form fields are shown, but filling-in values into
them does not reflect them in the output area.

Below is the complete example I am trying to run.

Thanks

Alex.

xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
xmlns:xf="http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms"

<head>
<title>XForms input and output controls</title>
<script src="http://ubiquity-xforms.googlecode.com/svn/tags/0.7.0/
src/ubiquity-loader.js" type="text/javascript">/**/</script>
</head>
<xf:model>
<xf:instance>
<data xmlns="">
<firstname>John</firstname>
<surname>Doe</surname>
</data>
</xf:instance>
</xf:model>

<xf:input ref="firstname">
<xf:label>First Name:</xf:label>
</xf:input>

<xf:input ref="surname">
<xf:label>Surname:</xf:label>
</xf:input>

<xf:output ref="firstname"><xf:label>First Name:</xf:label></
xf:output>
<xf:output ref="surname"><xf:label>Surname:</xf:label></xf:output>

GaryLASQ

Mar 26, 2010, 1:33:57 PM3/26/10
to Ubiquity XForms Developers
Like Alex, I'm have the same problem with the "complete example",
where the screen goes blank after modules have loaded. Using FF 3.6.x
on WinXP.

Gary

Mark Birbeck

Mar 29, 2010, 3:33:54 PM3/29/10
to ubiquit...@googlegroups.com
HI Alex/Gary,

First, we're really sorry that you've been having problems. The issue
is that the current environment is very much geared towards developers
grabbing the source from SVN and using it to work on UXF itself, but
I'm afraid we've been really rather lame in getting everything in
place for end-users.

However, help is at hand. We've spent some time working on a new build
environment and testing framework, and this allows us to create rolled
up files that perform much more quickly than the environment you see.
But there will still one remaining issue, and that's a cross-domain
problem in IE and FF. There will be a fix for that soon, but for now
if you want to use IE or FF you'll need to have all of the files on
the same server.

If you want to see some UXF demos that load in more reasonable time,
check out the XForms Developer Zone. For example:

<http://xformsdz.org/article/2009/09/easy-map-controls-ubiquity-xforms>
<http://xformsdz.org/article/2009/09/tooltips>
<http://xformsdz.org/article/2009/09/localise-your-forms>

I'll send an update to the list when the files have been updated.

Regards,

Mark

GaryLASQ

Mar 29, 2010, 3:59:14 PM3/29/10
to Ubiquity XForms Developers
Thanks Mark for the detailed reply. XForms is such a great
specification and so easy to use. My experience with it so far has
only been with the XForms add-on that was once (kind of still is)
available for Firefox. And I have only been using it for personal fun
stuff (not in the workplace unfortunately).

On Mar 29, 2:33 pm, Mark Birbeck <mark.birb...@webbackplane.com>
wrote:

> HI Alex/Gary,
>
> First, we're really sorry that you've been having problems. The issue
> is that the current environment is very much geared towards developers
> grabbing the source from SVN and using it to work on UXF itself, but
> I'm afraid we've been really rather lame in getting everything in
> place for end-users.
>
> However, help is at hand. We've spent some time working on a new build
> environment and testing framework, and this allows us to create rolled
> up files that perform much more quickly than the environment you see.
> But there will still one remaining issue, and that's a cross-domain
> problem in IE and FF. There will be a fix for that soon, but for now
> if you want to use IE or FF you'll need to have all of the files on
> the same server.
>
> If you want to see some UXF demos that load in more reasonable time,
> check out the XForms Developer Zone. For example:
>
>   <http://xformsdz.org/article/2009/09/easy-map-controls-ubiquity-xforms>
>   <http://xformsdz.org/article/2009/09/tooltips>
>   <http://xformsdz.org/article/2009/09/localise-your-forms>
>
> I'll send an update to the list when the files have been updated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark

Bala Krishnamurthy

Mar 29, 2010, 9:23:24 PM3/29/10
to ubiquit...@googlegroups.com
Oops! My message got messed up a bit. Anyway you get the point. Thanks!

Bala K.

Bala Krishnamurthy

Mar 29, 2010, 9:20:17 PM3/29/10
to ubiquit...@googlegroups.com
May I just add a quick few-liners to Gary's note - we do have enterprise apps built built upon the Mozilla plugin, in our case running 'standalone' on Fedora / Atom netbooks in remote branches of our social service network in central India. The XForms plugin was and remains a very powerful addon, though development seem to have stopped around FF 3.0 or so. The Ubiquity effort pursues a grandly ambitious vision and we have very high hopes and expectations of it. The grander the  though it may yet be a few months before we begin testing with it. Having a

--
Best Regards,
Bala Krishnamurthy

For a Greener Planet --- Switch to Linux & Free Open Source
sDevNet Protocol:
eCubeH XtsE stream

SAMHITA MICROFINANCE - Economic Initiatives for Life Essentials
2/16/504, Nehru Nagar, Rewa, MP 486001, India
--
Bala Krishnamurthy
+91.9981.9941.22 | Samhita Community Development Services