Webkit support

Phil Booth

Oct 15, 2009, 10:40:32 AM10/15/09
to ubiquity-...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

So, pending the odd code review, Webkit support in UXF is pretty much
there or thereabouts, in terms of what's needed for a 0.8 release. At
my last check, 73% of the W3C test suite passed in Safari, which is
comparable to Firefox (76%) and IE (71%).

Alas, every silver lining has a cloud. So this also means that, from
now on, it would be good if everybody could test their changes in
Safari and/or Chrome, as well as the other two browsers.

Cheers,
Phil.

Mark Birbeck

Oct 15, 2009, 10:51:49 AM10/15/09
to ubiquity-...@googlegroups.com
Excellent work Phil.

I know you've been slaving over a hot keyboard for weeks now, cracking
some of these problems, but I'm sure everyone will agree it's a major
step forward to have decent Chrome and Safari support.

Once again, good work, and well done.

Mark

--
Mark Birbeck, webBackplane

mark.b...@webBackplane.com

http://webBackplane.com/mark-birbeck

London, EC2A 4RR)

Rahul Akolkar

Oct 15, 2009, 11:02:02 AM10/15/09
to ubiquity-...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Phil Booth
<phil....@webbackplane.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> So, pending the odd code review, Webkit support in UXF is pretty much
> there or thereabouts, in terms of what's needed for a 0.8 release. At
> my last check, 73% of the W3C test suite passed in Safari, which is
> comparable to Firefox (76%) and IE (71%).

<snip/>

Cool, thanks for your efforts :-)

> Alas, every silver lining has a cloud. So this also means that, from
> now on, it would be good if everybody could test their changes in
> Safari and/or Chrome, as well as the other two browsers.

<snap/>

I've been known to do that earlier as well (out of curiosity and the
like), and its not too bad. The important thing, as you say here, is
to keep testing all deltas so we don't need extensive code forensics
if and when things break. I suppose we may be able to wire WebKit
tests (along with FF and IE) into buildbot as well at some point.

-Rahul

> Cheers,
> Phil.

John Boyer

Oct 15, 2009, 1:07:48 PM10/15/09
to ubiquity-...@googlegroups.com

This is great work Phil, thank you. This will be the anchor of 0.8.
Meanwhile, Erik finished the YUI upgrade, which I understand Rahul has graciously agreed to review this week. Once that happens, we should be able to incorporate Charlie's rich text control.  That will also be noteworthy.

Finally, if we can get agreement that a generalized "custom control" framework is less important than directly wiring in better looking buttons and dropdowns in the same manner as the calendar and rich text control, then we would have a fantastic 0.8 release in my view.

Best regards,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Interactive Documents and Web 2.0 Applications
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boy...@ca.ibm.com

Blog:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/JohnBoyer
Blog RSS feed:

From: Phil Booth <phil....@webbackplane.com>
To: ubiquity-...@googlegroups.com
Date: 10/15/2009 07:41 AM
Subject: Webkit support

Mark Birbeck

Oct 15, 2009, 1:29:38 PM10/15/09
to ubiquity-...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

> This is great work Phil, thank you. This will be the anchor of 0.8.
> Meanwhile, Erik finished the YUI upgrade, which I understand Rahul has graciously agreed to review this week.

Sorry if Rahul was looking forward to that. :) But I did all of Erik's
reviews yesterday (and a couple more today), and I think this one has
even gone into trunk already!

> Once that happens, we should be able to incorporate Charlie's rich text control.  That will also be noteworthy.

Definitely.

> Finally, if we can get agreement that a generalized "custom control" framework is less important than directly
> wiring in better looking buttons and dropdowns in the same manner as the calendar and rich text control, then
> we would have a fantastic 0.8 release in my view.

Myself and Phil will be taking advantage of the slight 'pause' after
the Webkit work, to work on the extension framework tomorrow morning.
I'd be surprised if didn't have something workable in time for the
weekly call.

Speak to you tomorrow.

John Boyer

Oct 15, 2009, 1:47:03 PM10/15/09
to ubiquity-...@googlegroups.com

Mark, that gets another "fantastic" :-)

Also, I forgot to mention that I've asked Erik to start working on building out a more complete solution around that purchase order form of mine, including a minimalistic server side for the form to talk to.  Part of the reason is that the existing sample form no longer works, and I'd like him to be able to get some repairs on ubiquity that support creating somewhat larger apps.  As well, it seemed like a good "get started tutorial" to add some more value to 0.8.

Cheers,
John

From: Mark Birbeck <mark.b...@webbackplane.com>
To: ubiquity-...@googlegroups.com
Date: 10/15/2009 10:30 AM
Subject: Re: Webkit support

Mark Birbeck

Oct 15, 2009, 3:52:10 PM10/15/09
to ubiquity-...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

That's a great idea.

I've also been looking at using a local web server, but from the point
of view of using one to run the W3C test-suite.

There are lots of potential servers around: the Mac and Windows XP
upwards come with a basic server installed; but nowadays most machines
would be able to run something more substantial, like Apache; and a
solution I've been playing for other reasons is Google's App Engine,
which is very easy to install, and comes with a nice control panel.

Anyway, I mention this only because I think it would be quite good to
align these two requirements for personal web servers -- the app need,
and the test-suite need.

As to how to proceed, we could either choose to all use the same
server (Apache, PWS, App Engine, whatever), and then we would only
need to maintain one set of files. Alternatively, we could just work
out what the required functionality is and document it on a wiki page,
and that would then enable anyone to create a script for their
language/server of choice.

Regards,

Mark

Obviously there are a ton of web servers that you can install on your
PC, but the installation process

Rahul Akolkar

Oct 15, 2009, 4:22:32 PM10/15/09
to ubiquity-...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Mark Birbeck
<mark.b...@webbackplane.com> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
>> This is great work Phil, thank you. This will be the anchor of 0.8.
>> Meanwhile, Erik finished the YUI upgrade, which I understand Rahul has graciously agreed to review this week.
>
> Sorry if Rahul was looking forward to that. :) But I did all of Erik's
> reviews yesterday (and a couple more today), and I think this one has
> even gone into trunk already!

<snip/>

Thank you (to both you and Erik :-)

I did go over the YUI upgrade related changeset now, and noticed it is
already in trunk as you mention (having looked at it, I've added my
positive review score on it nevertheless).

-Rahul