Getting ready for release 0.7

Mark Birbeck

Sep 1, 2009, 11:38:36 AM9/1/09
to ubiquity-...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

As promised, we now have a "tags/0.7.0" directory in SVN.

So before we do anything else, give yourselves a big pat on the back
(and if you are in a room with another UXF contributor, then give each
other a pat on the back), because you deserve it. :) The release is
packed with features, and we're only just beginning!

Now, the next step is to tell the world, but I figured it might be
best to do this in stages.

CHECKING THE CODE

So the first thing that would be really appreciated, is if anyone with
a couple of minutes to spare could grab a copy of the release, and
just run a few tests on it -- it would be a real shame if I've done
something really dumb when checking in, etc.

There is also new rollup file on the BuildBot server, which has been
auto-generated; again, if anyone sees any problems with it, please let
me know. (Details on the rollup's location are in the release notes,
mentioned next.)

CHECKING THE RELEASE NOTES

Next, could you look at the release notes and check that there are no
spelling mistakes, broken links, missing items, etc., since these
notes will probably also form the basis of an email to the developer
list. The releases notes are here (unfortunately you can't have a '.'
in the page name, which is why it looks odd):

<http://code.google.com/p/ubiquity-xforms/wiki/Release0Point7>

The only thing that I've not listed from Rahul's excellent summary
from SVN, is the XPath extension functions feature, since I have
something I need to check on that. But other than that, if there is
anything missing then it's an error on my part, so please let me know.

CHECKING OTHER WIKI PAGES

Other relevant wiki pages have also been modified, such as
UsingTheLibrary and UbiquityXFormsRoadmap, but there are probably
others that need changing, so if you think of any please let me
know...or modify them yourself and then let me know. :)

NEXT STEPS

Once we have all of this double-checked, then I think it's safe to
email the developer mailing-list, and then of course, everyone can
start blogging and tweeting.

Great work everyone...and forwards to version 0.8!

Regards,

Mark

--
Mark Birbeck, webBackplane

mark.b...@webBackplane.com

http://webBackplane.com/mark-birbeck

London, EC2A 4RR)

Rahul Akolkar

Sep 1, 2009, 11:53:50 AM9/1/09
to ubiquity-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Mark
Birbeck<mark.b...@webbackplane.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> As promised, we now have a "tags/0.7.0" directory in SVN.

<snip/>

Thats a nice feeling :-)

> CHECKING THE CODE
>
> So the first thing that would be really appreciated, is if anyone with
> a couple of minutes to spare could grab a copy of the release, and
> just run a few tests on it -- it would be a real shame if I've done
> something really dumb when checking in, etc.

<snap/>

Checking it out now, will report back in an hour or two.

> CHECKING OTHER WIKI PAGES
>
> Other relevant wiki pages have also been modified, such as
> UsingTheLibrary and UbiquityXFormsRoadmap, but there are probably
> others that need changing, so if you think of any please let me
> know...or modify them yourself and then let me know. :)

<snip/>

I've corrected the 4 URLs (3 times ubiquity-loader.js + samples
directory) in UsingTheLibrary -- these were now broken because of the
SVN reorg post v0.6.2.

> NEXT STEPS
>
> Once we have all of this double-checked, then I think it's safe to
> email the developer mailing-list, and then of course, everyone can
> start blogging and tweeting.
>
> Great work everyone...and forwards to version 0.8!

<snap/>

+1 to that :-)

-Rahul

Mark Birbeck

Sep 1, 2009, 12:10:25 PM9/1/09
to ubiquity-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rahul,

> I've corrected the 4 URLs (3 times ubiquity-loader.js + samples
> directory) in UsingTheLibrary -- these were now broken because of the
> SVN reorg post v0.6.2.

Yes, I saw that. Many thanks, and a very good catch.

Scott

Sep 1, 2009, 12:27:21 PM9/1/09
to ubiquity-...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

The map example page
(http://ubiquity-xforms.googlecode.com/svn/tags/0.7.0/samples/map-controls.html)
is complaining of an invalid google maps key whenever I attempt to
load it (in IE8 & FF3.5). Oddly enough it seems to load the maps after
a short delay (UX loading I suspect) despite this error; regardless
the JS alert message on page load is disconcerting. When I generated a
new key for http://ubiquity-xforms.googlecode.com/ I received:

ABQIAAAADV3JisKEUrERLCswQmmD0hTxmLX73EyBXQGAn4X_gt-EfNbaZBTPNaiSJ5Kymv6hVXgEYz7-nAE_IQ

vs the one in use:

ABQIAAAAFfge0ihEFruNovFYyY5Z2BT03M5pQffSTmvUWbx-FbO7hKuTfxR8wSZFbaGdCgfGcuz3JLRBno7XrQ

As you can see, they are slightly different. I think updating the key
should fix the message I'm receiving, but I'll leave this in your
capable hands as I'm not entirely sure why it actually works even
after complaining the key may be invalid.

Scott

Mark Birbeck

Sep 1, 2009, 12:57:26 PM9/1/09
to ubiquity-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Scott.

I was also seeing the message, and as with you, it worked for me, so I
put it on my list of things to look at. :)

The only thing I could think of was that Phil's code is including the
GMap library twice, and one occurrence has the correct code.

But I'll take a closer look later, and if necessary, plug in the ID
you've provided.

Thanks again.

Mark

Rahul

Sep 1, 2009, 4:00:24 PM9/1/09
to Ubiquity XForms Contributors

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Rahul
Akolkar<rahul....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Mark
> Birbeck<mark.b...@webbackplane.com> wrote:
<snip/>
>> CHECKING THE CODE
>>
>> So the first thing that would be really appreciated, is if anyone with
>> a couple of minutes to spare could grab a copy of the release, and
>> just run a few tests on it -- it would be a real shame if I've done
>> something really dumb when checking in, etc.
>>
> <snap/>
>
> Checking it out now, will report back in an hour or two.

In a nutshell: I think we can proceed with the next steps.

Details:

I did the following after checking out the v0.7.0 tag:
* Tried a number of samples/ on IE7 and FF3
* Ran the unit tests on IE7 and FF3
* Built the rollup
* Tried a number of samples using the rollup (under build/dist/
samples) on IE7 and FF3

In doing so, here are some nits:
* Some samples don't seem to work as expected or could be improved,
viz. {output-calendar, xforms-binding-exception, xforms-flickr-
submit}.html. Additionally, the maps key thing that has already been
pointed out.
* Unit tests pass on IE7, I'm seeing three failures on FF3 (header
tests)
* I've some improvements for the rollup in mind to make it truly
standalone, but thats for another thread
* fragmentParsing.js could be added to UXF just like we added the
backplane bits

I don't consider any of these to be blockers, but in my opinion things
to add to the v0.8.0 list (I'll open related issues in a day or two).
So I think we can proceed with the next steps for v0.7.0.

-Rahul

Mark Birbeck

Sep 1, 2009, 6:33:36 PM9/1/09
to ubiquity-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rahul,

> I did the following after checking out the v0.7.0 tag:
>  * Tried a number of samples/ on IE7 and FF3
>  * Ran the unit tests on IE7 and FF3
>  * Built the rollup
>  * Tried a number of samples using the rollup (under build/dist/
> samples) on IE7 and FF3

Great. The rollup is also being built by BuildBot.

> In doing so, here are some nits:
>  * Some samples don't seem to work as expected or could be improved,
> viz. {output-calendar, xforms-binding-exception, xforms-flickr-
> submit}.html.

Ok.

> Additionally, the maps key thing that has already been
> pointed out.

I've fixed that, checked it into trunk, and then performed a merge
with 0.7.0. (I thought it was a little early to move to 0.7.1. :)

>  * Unit tests pass on IE7, I'm seeing three failures on FF3 (header
> tests)

I think there is an issue for that -- something to do with the tests
not being updated in line with new features being added.

>  * I've some improvements for the rollup in mind to make it truly
> standalone, but thats for another thread

Great.

>  * fragmentParsing.js could be added to UXF just like we added the
> backplane bits

Yes, that should be in there. It's meant to be part of the backplane
module, so I'll look into that.

> I don't consider any of these to be blockers, but in my opinion things
> to add to the v0.8.0 list (I'll open related issues in a day or two).
> So I think we can proceed with the next steps for v0.7.0.

Feel free to add a Milestone-0.8 tag. :)

Thanks for your efforts on this, and I think the next step is to send

an email to the developer list.

After that...let's get blogging!

(And Twittering...and FaceBooking...)

Rahul Akolkar

Sep 2, 2009, 10:36:58 AM9/2/09
to ubiquity-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 6:33 PM, Mark
Birbeck<mark.b...@webbackplane.com> wrote:
<snip/>

>> Additionally, the maps key thing that has already been
>> pointed out.
>
> I've fixed that, checked it into trunk, and then performed a merge
> with 0.7.0. (I thought it was a little early to move to 0.7.1. :)

<snap/>

Agreed in this case. Once things settle down with another release or
two, tags should be truly immutable (and we'd move on to next
version).

>>  * Unit tests pass on IE7, I'm seeing three failures on FF3 (header
>> tests)
>
> I think there is an issue for that -- something to do with the tests
> not being updated in line with new features being added.

<snip/>

OK, thanks, will look for it or open one as needed.

>> I don't consider any of these to be blockers, but in my opinion things
>> to add to the v0.8.0 list (I'll open related issues in a day or two).
>> So I think we can proceed with the next steps for v0.7.0.
>
> Feel free to add a Milestone-0.8 tag. :)

<snap/>

I don't think I can add a tag (i.e. label in tracker), since that will
need project owner permissions. I can always make up that label, but
I'll be warned about using an uncommon one :-)

> Thanks for your efforts on this, and I think the next step is to send
> an email to the developer list.
>
> After that...let's get blogging!

<snip/>

Yup, mine will be some time today.

-Rahul

Rahul Akolkar

Sep 2, 2009, 2:16:38 PM9/2/09
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Rahul Akolkar<rahul....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 6:33 PM, Mark
> Birbeck<mark.b...@webbackplane.com> wrote:
<snip/>

>> After that...let's get blogging!
>>

> Yup, mine will be some time today.

Done: http://thoughtsilt.blogspot.com/

Permlink: http://thoughtsilt.blogspot.com/2009/09/ubiquity-xforms-070-released.html

Getting read: http://planet.apache.org/committers/ (don't use IE for
this, post is at the top right now, will have to scroll down as time
passes).

-Rahul

John Boyer

Sep 2, 2009, 2:29:59 PM9/2/09
to ubiquity-...@googlegroups.com

Add to that my tweet yesterday, which forward to my FB page.

And also the following blog entry:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/JohnBoyer/entry/announcing_new_release_of_ubiquity_xforms19

I also added some personal views/comments/highlights so that there would be some content unique from everyone else's postings.

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Interactive Documents and Web 2.0 Applications
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boy...@ca.ibm.com

Blog: