use of web app (narro?) for command localization?

"mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)"

Aug 12, 2009, 5:09:24 PM8/12/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

As many of you are aware, the community of localizers on BabelZilla
have done an absolutely fantastic job localizing the newly-localizable
about + setting page strings in the past few days. I wrote about this
yesterday [1].

[1] http://mitcho.com/blog/projects/lets-talk-about-how-cool-our-localizers-are/

In a footnote I mention that perhaps we should consider a web-based
editing/community system for our command localizations as well (po
files), not just the about + setting page strings (Mozilla-style
files). There are a number of projects such as Pootle which are web-
based interfacse for po files.

I've since received a response from the administrators of BabelZilla
saying that they are actually running one such application, called
Narro [2], on BabelZilla as well, and have invited us to use it for
our po (commands) localizations.

[2] http://narro-project.blogspot.com/

I personally know quite little about these applications such as
Pootle, Narro, etc.

So the questions are:

1. Should we put the po files (commands) up on a centralized server as
we have done for the UI strings and have people localize there?
2. If so, should we use the Narro installation that BabelZilla can
offer us?

I will bring this up in our weekly meeting in a few hours but please
feel free to comment on this on this list.

mitcho

--
mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)
mit...@mitcho.com

mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)

Aug 12, 2009, 5:11:12 PM8/12/09
to Ubiquity i18n
PS: right after I sent this email out, I was notified that I got a
comment on that blog post:

"Having the builtin commands for localization on something like Pootle
or Launchpad would be great."

That's someone's (Saniul Ahmed) two cents, fwiw.

On Aug 12, 3:09 pm, "mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)" <mit...@mitcho.com>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As many of you are aware, the community of localizers on BabelZilla
> have done an absolutely fantastic job localizing the newly-localizable
> about + setting page strings in the past few days. I wrote about this
> yesterday [1].
>
> [1]http://mitcho.com/blog/projects/lets-talk-about-how-cool-our-localize...

saniul

Aug 13, 2009, 2:03:32 PM8/13/09
to Ubiquity i18n
Just had a look on the Narro Project blog. It looks great, much
friendlier than Babelzilla :)

I honestly think that making it easy to localize Ubiquity (or any
application for that matter) will accelerate the localization process
greatly.
The only thing people need to do is register, choose a language and
they can start translating.
It also makes it easier to see if someone else is already working on a
localization in their language (less clashes).

Another benefit would be the fact that it's much easier to find
someone to review your locale if it's published on a central server.
You don't even need to actively search for a reviewer, just flag it as
"Needs review" and wait for some good soul to notice it :)

On Aug 12, 11:09 pm, "mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)"
<mit...@mitcho.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As many of you are aware, the community of localizers on BabelZilla
> have done an absolutely fantastic job localizing the newly-localizable
> about + setting page strings in the past few days. I wrote about this
> yesterday [1].
>
> [1]http://mitcho.com/blog/projects/lets-talk-about-how-cool-our-localize...
>
> In a footnote I mention that perhaps we should consider a web-based
> editing/community system for our command localizations as well (po
> files), not just the about + setting page strings (Mozilla-style
> files). There are a number of projects such as Pootle which are web-
> based interfacse for po files.
>
> I've since received a response from the administrators of BabelZilla
> saying that they are actually running one such application, called
> Narro [2], on BabelZilla as well, and have invited us to use it for
> our po (commands) localizations.
>
> [2]http://narro-project.blogspot.com/
>
> I personally know quite little about these applications such as
> Pootle, Narro, etc.
>
> So the questions are:
>
> 1. Should we put the po files (commands) up on a centralized server as
> we have done for the UI strings and have people localize there?
> 2. If so, should we use the Narro installation that BabelZilla can
> offer us?
>
> I will bring this up in our weekly meeting in a few hours but please
> feel free to comment on this on this list.
>
> mitcho
>
> --
> mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)

Lech

Aug 13, 2009, 4:12:13 PM8/13/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
As I mentioned in the meeting, I think it's great and I'm fine with
exploring any option. Narro seems like it would be a good option to
explore to see how our command localizers enjoy it. Although I agree
that perhaps a better built-in editor would be nicer, but this is
probably the best option for right now.

-L

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 4:11 PM, mitcho (Michael 芳貴