Spanish translation

artehuru

Jul 16, 2009, 11:51:13 AM7/16/09
to Ubiquity i18n
Hello,

I have just joined the ubiquity world.. :)
I would like to translate ubiquity commands to the Spanish language.
And I wonder if someone is doing this task. I have checked the source
files and I did not find anything.

Thanks for your comments.
Regards

---arte---huru--->

"mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)"

Jul 16, 2009, 12:22:21 PM7/16/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to Ubiquity! And yes, we'd love to get Spanish localizations
for our commands!

The Spanish parser settings that we have now were contributed by
someone named kelopez, but I do not have any contact information for
them. I have not heard of anyone else starting work on the Spanish
commands yet. If you'd like to get started, here's a tutorial which
will walk you through the process [1]. Ubiquity command localization
is done through po files, so if you've done any unix localization work
before (or even if you haven't!) it should be very straightforward.

[1] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/Ubiquity/Ubiquity_0.5_Command_Localization_Tutorial

Feel free to ask on this list if you have any questions. :)

Gracias,

mitcho
--
mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)
mit...@mitcho.com

Guillermo Movia

Jul 16, 2009, 1:14:34 PM7/16/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
Hi, i could help in the revision, when you finished. I don't have
enough time to start it, but like a UBiquity user eill be great to
have spanish translation.

Guillermo

"mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)"

Jul 16, 2009, 1:30:08 PM7/16/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
Great. Thanks for getting involved! I'll let you know if anyone starts
localizing for Spanish.

Queltosh

Jul 18, 2009, 11:35:36 AM7/18/09
to Ubiquity i18n
I am also interested in Spanish translation.

I don't now how to start, so i have downloaded the catalan translation
from

https://ubiquity.mozilla.com/trac/attachment/ticket/712/ca.tar.gz

If i translate this files to spanish is ok?

On 16 jul, 19:30, "mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)" <mit...@mitcho.com>
wrote:
> Great. Thanks for getting involved! I'll let you know if anyone starts
> localizing for Spanish.

> > Hi, i could help in the revision, when you finished. I don't have
> > enough time to start it, but like a UBiquity user eill be great to
> > have spanish translation.
>
> > Guillermo
>
> > 2009/7/16 "mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)" <mit...@mitcho.com>:
>
> >> Welcome to Ubiquity! And yes, we'd love to get Spanish localizations
> >> for our commands!
>
> >> The Spanish parser settings that we have now were contributed by
> >> someone named kelopez, but I do not have any contact information for
> >> them. I have not heard of anyone else starting work on the Spanish
> >> commands yet. If you'd like to get started, here's a tutorial which
> >> will walk you through the process [1]. Ubiquity command localization
> >> is done through po files, so if you've done any unix localization
> >> work
> >> before (or even if you haven't!) it should be very straightforward.
>
> >> [1]https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/Ubiquity/Ubiquity_0.5_Command_Localizat...

Hygo Kultainen

Jul 18, 2009, 12:00:10 PM7/18/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I would like to help with the spanish translation, but I lack any experience in projects like this. Waiting for instructions...

Toni Hermoso Pulido

Jul 18, 2009, 3:12:39 PM7/18/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roberto,

I would recommend you translating from the original language
(English), since despite Catalan and Spanish are close languages,
there are differences in localization styles, or simply the
conventions used... Of course, you can always take a look at Catalan
when translating when you spot a difficult term. When I translate from
English to Catalan I actually do it myself (peeping at Spanish, French
and other Romance languages translations).
I contacted Mozilla Hispano (http://www.mozilla-hispano.org/) guys
some time ago (I think someone is in this list) regarding Ubiquity
localization. IMHO, the most important issue in command localization
would be deciding the verb tense to be used: Catalan and Italian use
imperative and Portuguese (and I suppose Spanish as well) use
infinitive.
http://mitcho.com/blog/link/ubiquity-in-portuguese/
http://www.yetanothertechblog.com/2009/03/08/thinking-ubiquity-in-italian/
Synonyms would be another important aspect, specially if the
translation could be used in different Spanish variants.

If you browse the archive of this group, you will find some more
details about how localizing Ubiquity commands (in PO format).

Cheers!

2009/7/18 Queltosh <munoz....@gmail.com>:

--
Toni Hermoso Pulido
http://www.cau.cat

Roberto Muñoz

Jul 18, 2009, 6:17:18 PM7/18/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
But in the PO files i have downloades with the catalan translation, is there too the english original text.

So there is no difference, i guess, translate from scratch or translate from other translation; isn't it?
the content of the file i have downloaded is:
ca/
ca/builtincmds.po
ca/calendar.po
ca/developer.po
ca/email.po
ca/firefox.po
ca/general.po
ca/map.po
ca/pageedit.po
ca/social.po
ca/search.po

are those files enough?

Cheers

Toni Hermoso Pulido

Jul 19, 2009, 4:54:26 AM7/19/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roberto,

2009/7/19 Roberto Muñoz <munoz....@gmail.com>:

> But in the PO files i have downloades with the catalan translation, is there
> too the english original text.
>
> So there is no difference, i guess, translate from scratch or translate from
> other translation; isn't it?

Yes, you are right.
Just as advice, when translating, try to have as model present Firefox
UI translation.
I would also suggest you, when you finish translating them, to send
your work to http://www.proyectonave.es/colabora so you could have
feedback from other people.

> the content of the file i have downloaded is:
> ca/
> ca/builtincmds.po
> ca/calendar.po
> ca/developer.po
> ca/email.po
> ca/firefox.po
> ca/general.po
> ca/map.po
> ca/pageedit.po
> ca/social.po
> ca/search.po
>

> are those files enough?

Yes, these are the ones currently translatable:
https://ubiquity.mozilla.com/hg/ubiquity-firefox/file/tip/ubiquity/localization/templates

Cheers!

isabel romero navarro

Jul 19, 2009, 7:34:41 PM7/19/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I want to start to translate files for ubiquity, so please before start any translation,  let me know which files are you going to do to avoid do the same job two times.

I will start with general.po and firefox.po.

Thanks and regards

---arte---huru--->

Queltosh

Jul 20, 2009, 3:10:39 AM7/20/09
to Ubiquity i18n
isabel romero navarro ha escrito:
> Hi,
>
> I want to start to translate files for ubiquity, so please before start any
> translation, let me know which files are you going to do to avoid do the
> same job two times.

I agree. I will start with builtincmds.po and calendar.po

I was looking for a public server with pootle installed to put the
files ang begin the translation, but there isn't. Pootle is a project
to translate po files i met in debian. It may be usefull not only for
spanish translation but for all i18n team.

> I will start with general.po and firefox.po.

In the other hand. I have read https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/Ubiquity/Parser_2/Localization_Tutorial
.In order to have a total spanish translation we need to create a
localized parser, isn't?

I read the http://ubiquity.mozilla.com/trac/attachment/ticket/662/ca-parser.diff
and I found a es.js in ubiquity-firefox/ubiquity/modules/parser/new
folder. But this diff do not apply to the lastest code, i guess.

Regards.

"mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)"

Jul 20, 2009, 6:41:16 AM7/20/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

It's great to see all the interest in getting a Spanish localization
together! ^^

Yes, it's true that you can do the translation based on the blank pot
files (po template) [1] or any other languages' files, like Catalan.
Either way, the source messages (msgid) will be in English.

[1] https://ubiquity.mozilla.com/hg/ubiquity-firefox/file/tip/ubiquity/localization/templates

The command localization tutorial will help all of you localize your
commands and test them [2].

[2] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/Ubiquity/Ubiquity_0.5_Command_Localization_Tutorial

> In the other hand. I have read https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/Ubiquity/Parser_2/Localization_Tutorial
> .In order to have a total spanish translation we need to create a
> localized parser, isn't?
>
> I read the http://ubiquity.mozilla.com/trac/attachment/ticket/662/ca-parser.diff
> and I found a es.js in ubiquity-firefox/ubiquity/modules/parser/new
> folder. But this diff do not apply to the lastest code, i guess.

Yes, there is indeed already an es.js language setting file in
Ubiquity [3]. This file was originally submitted by a contributor
named kelopez. Of course, if you all have suggestions for improvements
to the parser settings, please let me know.

[3] https://ubiquity.mozilla.com/hg/ubiquity-firefox/file/tip/ubiquity/modules/parser/new/es.js

Roberto, we unfortunately don't have a Pootle repository set up right
now. If there is interest in using such a system for collaborative
localization, we could set it up.

Please keep this list (ubiq i18n) updated on Spanish localization
progress, and feel free to ask questions here. I'll look forward to
adding your localizations to Ubiquity soon!

mitcho

--

mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)
mit...@mitcho.com

Guillermo Movia

Jul 20, 2009, 9:34:37 AM7/20/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
2009/7/20 "mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)" <mit...@mitcho.com>:

> [3] https://ubiquity.mozilla.com/hg/ubiquity-firefox/file/tip/ubiquity/modules/parser/new/es.js
>
> Roberto, we unfortunately don't have a Pootle repository set up right
> now. If there is interest in using such a system for collaborative
> localization, we could set it up.

Hi, in Mozilla hispano (hispanic community site) we have a pootle
repository. I will contact administrator to apload the files. He is in
holidays, but meaybe some other could help.

Guillermo

Roberto Muñoz

Jul 20, 2009, 11:14:26 AM7/20/09
to Ubiquity i18n
On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 09:10, Queltosh <munoz....@gmail.com> wrote:

isabel romero navarro ha escrito:
> Hi,
>
> I want to start to translate files for ubiquity, so please before start any
> translation,  let me know which files are you going to do to avoid do the
> same job two times.

I agree. I will start with builtincmds.po and calendar.po

Here are the translated files.

I will continue with developer.po and email.po

Please, can you review the translation?

I have localized the examples (in calendar.po) with Spanish classic names.

i don't know the meaning of the word 'vita' in builtincmd.po, so i translated it into "vida".

Cheers.
builtincmds.po
calendar.po

Roberto Muñoz

Jul 20, 2009, 12:47:23 PM7/20/09
to Ubiquity i18n

2009/7/20 Roberto Muñoz <munoz....@gmail.com>

I will continue with developer.po and email.po

The promised files.

I will continue with map.po and pageedit.po

Cheers.
developer.po
email.po

Roberto Muñoz

Jul 20, 2009, 4:29:57 PM7/20/09
to Ubiquity i18n

2009/7/20 Roberto Muñoz <munoz....@gmail.com>

 Here are.

Next one, the two last: search.po and social.po

I have uploaded in http://ubiquity.mozilla.com/trac/ticket/662 a new version of the spanish parser. The original in the hg repo failed to load.

To test it i have to change te value in about:config because is not shown in about:ubiquity.

Right now i have found it, i change the ~/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxxxx.default/extensions/ubiq...@labs.mozilla.com/chrome/content/settings.js and in the line 72 add the "es" code.

After all of this. The next step is to translate the about:ubiquity page.

How can we accomplish that?
map.po
pageedit.po

isabel romero navarro

Jul 20, 2009, 4:42:40 PM7/20/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Just a vocabulary question,
how would you translate: bookmarklet?

Thanks!

nice job to the spanish translators!

Roberto Muñoz

Jul 20, 2009, 4:51:45 PM7/20/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 22:42, isabel romero navarro <arte...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Just a vocabulary question,
how would you translate: bookmarklet?

bookmark = marcador
booklet = folleto

maybe a word ending in -let is sort of a diminutive?

Jono

Jul 21, 2009, 1:10:31 AM7/21/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
>> Just a vocabulary question,
>> how would you translate: bookmarklet?
>
> bookmark = marcador
> booklet = folleto
>
> maybe a word ending in -let is sort of a diminutive?

No habla español, but I believe that the word "bookmarklet" comes from
"bookmark" + "applet", which is "application" + diminutive. So
"bookmarklet" isn't "a small bookmark" but "a small application in a
bookmark" (I was very confused about this the first time I heard the
term). Maybe that will help you find a good Spanish translation for
it?

--Jono

P.S. I'm very very happy that you guys are working on a Spanish
translation! Hooray!

Roberto Muñoz

Jul 21, 2009, 11:20:30 AM7/21/09
to Ubiquity i18n

2009/7/20 Roberto Muñoz <munoz....@gmail.com>

2009/7/20 Roberto Muñoz <munoz....@gmail.com>

2009/7/20 Roberto Muñoz <munoz....@gmail.com>

I will continue with developer.po and email.po

The promised files.

I will continue with map.po and pageedit.po

 Here are.

Next one, the two last: search.po and social.po

The last two files.

Please, review specially the order in the search.po the Amazon Index. I translated it without reordering it.

Please let me know any problem with the files.

Cheers.
search.po
social.po

Jono

Jul 21, 2009, 10:43:46 PM7/21/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much for all your help!
I will take all these .po files and merge them into the repository for
testing today.
--Jono

Jono

Jul 21, 2009, 10:57:55 PM7/21/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
I just added Spanish to the drop-down menu in the Settings page, to
make this easier to test (i.e. no more need to edit about:config to
set the language to Spanish). I also added in the .po files that have
been attatched to this thread so far. The changes are comitted in
this revision:

https://ubiquity.mozilla.com/hg/ubiquity-firefox/rev/1e8f6c07a35a

So anyone who is running from source checkout can now pull, update,
and try out the Spanish localization. If you speak Spanish, please
try it out and check for any errors.

We are now just waiting for firefox.po and general.po; once Isabel is
done with those, we will have all the standard feed commands
localized! Hooray!

Thanks so much to everyone who helped out in this thread, especially Roberto!

--Jono

"mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)"

Jul 21, 2009, 11:13:34 PM7/21/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
Exciting!! Gracias a todos! :D
--
mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)
mit...@mitcho.com

Guillermo Movia

Jul 21, 2009, 11:19:53 PM7/21/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to all! ¡Gracias a todos!

I'm using Ubiquity 0.5.1pre4, which it's best/quick way to test the translation?

Thanks
Guillermo

Queltosh

Jul 22, 2009, 2:25:50 AM7/22/09
to Ubiquity i18n

Guillermo Movia ha escrito:
> Thanks to all! ¡Gracias a todos!
>
> I'm using Ubiquity 0.5.1pre4, which it's best/quick way to test the translation?

Hola Guillermo:

You only have to follow
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/Ubiquity/Ubiquity_0.5_Command_Localization_Tutorial#Testing_your_localizations

And then restart the browser. If at start, Ubiquity shows a "Setup
Error" maybe is because you are using the old parser. I submit a new
parser in http://ubiquity.mozilla.com/trac/attachment/ticket/662/es.js
which work perfectly for me. You only have to overwrite the old one
you have in modules/parser/new/ directory.

Espero tus correcciones.
Thanks.

Jono

Jul 22, 2009, 4:25:23 AM7/22/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
I've added the new es.js parser file from ticket 662 and added it to
the repository, replacing the broken one.
Thanks again!
--Jono

"mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)"

Jul 22, 2009, 10:19:16 AM7/22/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com, Ubiquity i18n
Guillermo,

If you do not want to edit the files in your profile directly to test,
another option is to get the latest source version from our hg
repository. This requires hg. Instructions are here:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/Ubiquity/Ubiquity_0.1_Development_Tutorial

¡Gracias Guillermo!

mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)

Guillermo Movia

Jul 22, 2009, 10:30:38 AM7/22/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
Thanks all!

Working now in spanish. At least, twitter command seems to work :)

I copy the files to es folder. Maybe later I could test the mercurial version.

By the way, which do you think could be the best way to discuss
localizations? This list or getsatisfaction site?

"mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)"

Jul 22, 2009, 10:43:20 AM7/22/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com, ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
Guillermo,

I would recommend disussing localizations (both from a user's point of
view and from developers') on this list for now. If anyone is bothered
by the recently increased traffic on this list, I encourage them to
try getting the digest.

mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)

On Jul 22, 2009, at 10:30 AM, Guillermo Movia

Guillermo Movia

Jul 22, 2009, 10:56:27 AM7/22/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
2009/7/22 "mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)" <mit...@mitcho.com>:

> Guillermo,
>
> I would recommend disussing localizations (both from a user's point of
> view and from developers') on this list for now. If anyone is bothered
> by the recently increased traffic on this list, I encourage them to
> try getting the digest.

Great, thanks!

Guillermo

Pablo

Jul 22, 2009, 5:54:19 PM7/22/09
to Ubiquity i18n
Hi!

Today i update to 0.5.1 and search info about translation
(localization). Now i can see that Roberto did and excelent job.
Thanks to you and all other people at the project.

My suggestion is about the "email" command. When you write email in
english you see the suggestion "(to contact)", in spanish you should
see "(a contacto)" or "(para contacto)" instead you see "(hacia
contacto)", that is... not friendly :P
I've seen that "hacia" is the first goal on es.js, could it be the
problem?

Thanks again,

Pablo

On Jul 22, 11:43 am, "mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)"
<mit...@mitcho.com> wrote:
> Guillermo,
>
> I would recommend disussing localizations (both from a user's point of
> view and from developers') on this list for now. If anyone is bothered
> by the recently increased traffic on this list, I encourage them to
> try getting the digest.
>
> mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)
>
> On Jul 22, 2009, at 10:30 AM, Guillermo Movia
>
> <guillermo.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks all!
>
> > Working now in spanish. At least, twitter command seems to work :)
>
> > I copy the files to es folder. Maybe later I could test the
> > mercurial version.
>
> > By the way, which do you think could be the best way to discuss
> > localizations? This list or getsatisfaction site?
>
> > Guillermo
>
> > 2009/7/22 "mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)" <mit...@mitcho.com>:
>
> >> Guillermo,
>
> >> If you do not want to edit the files in your profile directly to
> >> test,
> >> another option is to get the latest source version from our hg
> >> repository. This requires hg. Instructions are here:
>
> >>https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/Ubiquity/Ubiquity_0.1_Development_Tutorial
>
> >> ¡Gracias Guillermo!
>
> >> mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)

isabel romero navarro

Jul 23, 2009, 1:25:18 PM7/23/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have just finished the last files, general.po and firefox.po.
I attach them.

Let me know if I have to upload these files to somewhere.

Thanks.
isabel.

2009/7/22 Guillermo Movia <guiller...@gmail.com>
general.po
firefox.po

"mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)"

Jul 23, 2009, 1:28:33 PM7/23/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
¡Gracias Isabel! I just committed those two files to hg.

mitcho
> <general.po><firefox.po>

isabel romero navarro

Jul 23, 2009, 1:39:13 PM7/23/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
Ok, Thanks, I will try this spanish release.

isabel