Long texts in ubiquity causing it to freeze/high CPU usage

Artem Skvira

Oct 4, 2010, 7:57:30 PM10/4/10
to ubiquity-firefox
Hi,

I suspect it's an error in parsing algorithm. Basically when you
entering a long text - say going:

"twitter this is an example of how ubiquity hangs when long text is
entered into it or long links a pasted"

causes it to respond very slowly in the beginning and then becoming
slower and slower as you type further away.

FF 3.6.10 / Ubiquity 0.6

I am happy to raise this as a bug if you point me to the bug tracking
system, as the ubiquity page on mozilla web site doesn't seem to have
it linked.

Thanks,
Art

Lech

Oct 6, 2010, 9:43:33 AM10/6/10
to ubiquity...@googlegroups.com
I do notice a little hitching and pausing but nothing very obvious.
Which build of 0.6 are you currently running?

-L

Artem Skvira

Oct 10, 2010, 9:19:37 PM10/10/10
to ubiquity-firefox
Not sure whether this is going to be helpful, but that's top of .rdf
file

<?xml version="1.0"?>
xmlns="http://www.mozilla.org/2004/em-rdf#">
<rdf:Description about="urn:mozilla:install-manifest">
<id>ubiq...@labs.mozilla.com</id>
<version>0.6</version>
<type>2</type>

Which doesn't say much about version other than it's 0.6.

On Oct 7, 12:43 am, Lech <unatten...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I do notice a little hitching and pausing but nothing very obvious.
> Which build of 0.6 are you currently running?
>
> -L

"mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)"

Oct 10, 2010, 9:26:41 PM10/10/10
to ubiquity...@googlegroups.com
Long strings have been a persistent issue for our parser, and I wouldn't be too surprised if you see delays or pausing with very long input.

If the string is some string you copied from a web page, you can avoid this issue by selecting the text on the page and, instead of copy/paste-ing it to the ubiquity input, using the keyword "this" in your ubiquity command. Ubiquity will interpret "this" as your selection, and it'll avoid parsing through that long string.

mitcho

--
mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)
mit...@mitcho.com

Artem Skvira

Oct 30, 2010, 12:32:54 AM10/30/10
to ubiquity-firefox
I mostly get this issue when posting to twitter - and texts are
relatively short, < 140 characters.

Any chance this issue could be fixed?

On Oct 10, 9:26 pm, "mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)" <mit...@mitcho.com>
wrote:
> Long strings have been a persistent issue for our parser, and I wouldn't be too surprised if you see delays or pausing with very long input.
>
> If the string is some string you copied from a web page, you can avoid this issue by selecting the text on the page and, instead of copy/paste-ing it to the ubiquity input, using the keyword "this" in your ubiquity command. Ubiquity will interpret "this" as your selection, and it'll avoid parsing through that long string.
>
> mitcho
>
> On Oct 10, 2010, at 9:19 PM, Artem Skvira wrote:
>

> > Not sure whether this is going to be helpful, but that's top of .rdf
> > file
>
> > <?xml version="1.0"?>
> > <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
> >  xmlns="http://www.mozilla.org/2004/em-rdf#">
> >  <rdf:Description about="urn:mozilla:install-manifest">
> >    <id>ubiqu...@labs.mozilla.com</id>

jessefis

Nov 12, 2010, 2:49:29 PM11/12/10
to ubiquity-firefox
I have noticed this too, it would be great to get this improved.