The New Herd

Fernando Takai

Oct 9, 2009, 2:27:56 PM10/9/09
to ubiquity-firefox, ubiquity-core
Good news everyone!

I just put a test version of the new herd on the air - you can access
it through http://fernandotakai.net:8080/
As you can see, it's a test version - i need to finish a lot of things
regarding configuration to make it run faster.

If you really want, you can subscribe to this command http://gist.github.com/206199
and the run it (or wait till it run automatically)
After that, you will need to wait till the server fetches and parses
your feeds (right now, it's doing it at midnight, so you maybe will
have to wait a little)

You can get herd's source here: http://bitbucket.org/fernandotakai/herd/overview/

--
Fernando Takai
http://twitter.com/fernando_takai

Fernando Takai

Oct 13, 2009, 12:47:46 PM10/13/09
to ubiquity-firefox, ubiquity-core
Hi everyone!

This weekend i put Herd behind apache+mod_wsgi - so now, we have a
more stability and better performance.
You can access it through http://herd.fernandotakai.net.

(btw, sorry for changing the urls every time - this should be the last
one.)

For those that never used Herd before, let me quick explain how it
works:

- Herd indexes your custom feeds - and to do that, you need to
subscribe to this command feed http://gist.github.com/206199.

- From time to time, the command will automatically submit your custom
feeds to Herd server.
(If you want, you can submit by hand using the herd command) -
everything is done anonymously and as soon as possible, with https.

- There's a background process running daily that will fetch the
command source, parse it and updates it on the database - them, the
command will be available for everyone.

There's a lot of work to be done on it - this is just the 0.1 version
- so, if you want, you can take a look at the source-code here:
http://bitbucket.org/fernandotakai/herd/overview/
If you find bugs (and you will find them) you can:

1. Open a ticket on trac - http://ubiquity.mozilla.com/trac and assign
to me. My login is http://fernandotakai.wordpress.com
2. Email the core-dev user list - ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
3. Email me directly

Also, i will be on hanging irc - irc.mozilla.org#ubiquity - i'm fern.

On Oct 9, 3:27 pm, Fernando Takai <fernando.ta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good news everyone!
>
> I just put a test version of the new herd on the air - you can access

> it throughhttp://fernandotakai.net:8080/

> As you can see, it's a test version - i need to finish a lot of things
> regarding configuration to make it run faster.
>

> If you really want, you can subscribe to this commandhttp://gist.github.com/206199

Lloyd Atkinson

Oct 13, 2009, 1:47:51 PM10/13/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com, ubiquity-firefox
Nice work so far Fernando. I was looking at it a little bit and have
two feature requests:

- When you click on a herd command and go into the Feed View, could
the Feed View parse out the "Help" field of each command in the feed
and list them? This, so that I don't have to read the source code to
make a high level judgement whether or not the command is interesting
to me.

- Can there be a way to opt-in or opt-out specific custom commands
instead of having the herd command parse everything? Say I've written
a couple commands that do private or intranet-ish things, but I want
to participate in the Herd otherwise.

Thanks!

Fernando Takai

Oct 13, 2009, 2:21:34 PM10/13/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com, ubiquity-firefox
Lloyd,

> - When you click on a herd command and go into the Feed View, could
> the Feed View parse out the "Help" field of each command in the feed
> and list them? This, so that I don't have to read the source code to
> make a high level judgement whether or not the command is interesting
> to me.

It is possible, i think - good idea.

> - Can there be a way to opt-in or opt-out specific custom commands
> instead of having the herd command parse everything? Say I've written
> a couple commands that do private or intranet-ish things, but I want
> to participate in the Herd otherwise.

It's on my to-do list.
>>> You can get herd's source here:http://bitbucket.org/fernandotakai/
>>> herd/overview/
>>>
>>> --
>>> Fernando Takaihttp://twitter.com/fernando_takai

Christian Sonne

Oct 13, 2009, 3:28:40 PM10/13/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
We might even want the concept of private and public feeds in Ubiquity - could be handy for error reporting and that sort of thing, to know what the user does not want to have reported back...?

-- cers / Christian Sonne