Ubiquity ideas from the intern brown bag

Jono

Aug 20, 2009, 7:08:22 PM8/20/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,
Brandon gave a lunchtime talk (we call these "brown bags") about
Ubiquity today, where he summarized what he's been working on over the
summer. The following are some points that came up during the
question-and-answer session that I thought were worth bringing to
everyone's attention:

* The current version of Ubiquity apparently doesn't work on Firefox
3.6. We should get on this ASAP.
* In the Firefox right-click context menu, there is "Search google
for X" , and then there's the Ubiquity submenu which also contains
"google for X" as a command. This is redundant. We should merge
these or take over the whole context menu or something.
* It would be awesome to have a way that non-programmers can perform a
series of actions and then turn it into a Ubiquity command.
* It would be even more awesome if Ubiquity could notice that you are
performing certain repetitive action, and automatically make a command
for it.
* Mouse gestures for Ubiquity: Allow user to define a certain gesture
and associate it with a command. Potentially very useful on mobile
devices which have touch-screens, and where typing text is painful.

--Jono

Blair McBride

Aug 21, 2009, 7:22:34 AM8/21/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
On 21/08/09 11:08 AM, Jono wrote:
> * The current version of Ubiquity apparently doesn't work on Firefox
> 3.6. We should get on this ASAP.

Works for me on 3.6a2pre.

- Blair

Christian Sonne

Aug 21, 2009, 9:27:01 AM8/21/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
Works for me too on my 3.6a2pre, however either Ubiquity or one of a small list of other (mostly labs-related) extensions have been causing fx to sometimes fail to start up (as in, I get to choose profile, then crash after what appears to be a timeout). I have not been able to pinpoint the exact cause yet.

-- cers / Christian Sonne

Christian Sonne

Aug 21, 2009, 9:34:29 AM8/21/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 1:08 AM, Jono <jdic...@mozilla.com> wrote:
*  In the Firefox right-click context menu, there is "Search google
for X" , and then there's the Ubiquity submenu which also contains
"google for X" as a command.  This is redundant.  We should merge
these or take over the whole context menu or something.

If we end up pursuing the persistence project, and even end up using the search bar (not the awesomebar), this would make even more sense.

I can't remember if Ubiquity already supports using (installed) Sherlock and OpenSearch search plugins as providers, but if we could do that, and also support their suggestion features (for previews or something), then I think we are pretty solid.