persistent ubiquity talking points

"mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)"

Aug 19, 2009, 1:23:42 AM8/19/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've just begun creating a screencast on Project Persistence, the
persistent Ubiquity-in-the-toolbar design tool/contest. For those of
you who haven't seen it yet, make sure you have the latest hg version
of Ubiquity or 0.5.5pre3 and go to chrome://ubiquity/content/persistence.html
.

Heather just brought up a good point, that in many people's eyes this
may be easily confused with Taskfox. Here are the talking points I
just responded with:

(1) We want to see what we could make ubiquity look/feel like in the
toolbar and persistent in chrome.
(2) Unlike Taskfox it will not replace the address bar... I just made
it look like that here to demonstrate... most likely will be like
another search bar or in lieu of the search bar.
(3) Unlike Taskfox, "persistent Ubiquity" is not intended to be
bundled with Firefox. It'll be part of the add-on.

Am I wrong at all? I agree that the Persistence tool I created does
give the impression that we are replacing the AwesomeBar... is this
dangerous enough that I should change it to be in place of the search
bar?

Thanks all.

mitcho

--
mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)
mit...@mitcho.com

Heather

Aug 19, 2009, 10:38:25 AM8/19/09
to ubiquity-core
I'm not sure what the right answer is re: awesomebar vs. search bar.
If we bundle it into the addon, I'm also not convinced that putting it
in the awesomebar isn't the right thing to do... It is the most
frequently requested feature on Get Sat:

http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla/topics/make_ubiquity_the_address_bar

However, making it the search box is technically much easier, so if
we're holding an open design challenge for designs we might actually
use, we might want to have a "how would we actually use this"
conversation first. :)

Heather

On Aug 19, 1:23 am, "mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine)" <mit...@mitcho.com>

Blair McBride

Aug 19, 2009, 5:32:52 PM8/19/09
to ubiqui...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure its possible for people to be MORE confused about the
difference between Ubiquity and Taskfox :)

In case anyone is worrying about stepping on Taskfox's toes: I fully
endorse and encourage such explorations of awesomeness.

And I don't think it should be taken out of the awesomebar due to the
existance of Taskfox. If its to be moved to a different input bar, then
it should be due to design and usability reasons. Although, saying that,
Taskfox may make it difficult to actually implement, once it eventually
ships (note: not expected to happen soon).

- Blair