Hullo I'm new here

hugh

Jun 4, 2011, 6:11:33 AM6/4/11
to UAV UK Flyers
Hullo, I have just tripped across this list. I am a photographer and
putting a toe into the water of "flying a camera".

I was advised to start with a Blade contra-rotating little copter,
which I am struggling with....

My aim is to take the next step with a copter that is capable of
carrying a small 'point'n'squirt' camera so that I can prove that the
copter approach has some merit. If successful then I shall raise the
game a bit. However that is all dependant on my being able to get
some control over the little beast that seems intent on breaking its
blades... even with the 'training wheels.

So I'll hover in the background for a while, and see with interest
what and how this amazing market opens up.

Best to all

Hugh

www.hughgilbert.com

Gunter

Jun 5, 2011, 6:26:53 AM6/5/11
to UAV UK Flyers
Hi Hugh,

You were advised correctly, best to start on a cheap helicopter to get
the basic controlls until you are confident with flying. I started
with a little blade heli and practiced for a few months. It is
difficult at first, I went through loads of blades! You don't have to
be able to fly like an expert, doing loops and acrobatics When you do
aerial photography, you tend to just take the heli up in one
direction, take a few snaps and bring it down again.

I am doing this as a hobby at the moment, I have a Draganflyer X4
(http://www.draganfly.com) and have done a few aerial pics and videos.
See www.asandp.co.uk

One thing to bear in mind is that if you want to do it commercially,
you have to apply for a license from the CAA which you will have to
pay for. It doesn't cost too much, but took me a while to get! There's
also insurance.

Where about in the country are you?

Cheers,

Gunter.