We really ought to UAS flyers

Gary Mortimer

Mar 10, 2011, 10:25:36 AM3/10/11
to uavuk...@googlegroups.com
I know its pedantic but UAV is such a dated term

Nigel

Mar 30, 2011, 2:12:07 PM3/30/11
to uavuk...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure what's wrong with the term UAV.  They are vehicles and they are unmanned.  Having once worked for a large corporate I must say I am very wary of the habit of changing words that everyone understands for new ones just for the sake of it.  For example, we used to have a 'training' department but that got changed to 'enablement' at which point no one outside the company knew what on earth we meant. Personally, I'm for sticking with UAV but I know the military like UAS and so I will defer to the will of the majority on this one - if UAS becomes the norm I guess I will have to change!
Message has been deleted

Nigel

Mar 30, 2011, 3:59:34 PM3/30/11
to UAV UK Flyers
I just found this

http://www.uavs.org/index.php?page=what_is

...which basically says that if we use the term UAV we should only be
referring to the platform whereas UAS refers to the air and ground
systems as a whole.

Cheers,

Gary Mortimer

Mar 31, 2011, 7:15:41 AM3/31/11
to UAV UK Flyers
Yes and that is what the CAA will eventually licence, the entire
system.

RPAS is the next one that will become popular.

UAV is no longer an ICAO phrase