imulocation update rate

Roby

Oct 13, 2020, 11:41:16 AM10/13/20
to uavdevboard

Hello Bill and  Pete,

As far as I know, I thought that IMUlocation was updated 40 times per second in the code.

But I really can't figure out how. It seems that it is updated 200 times. Any ideas?

Regards,
Roby

william premerlani

Oct 13, 2020, 12:31:51 PM10/13/20
to uavde...@googlegroups.com
Roby,
In the most up to date version of MatrixPilot the IMU location update is triggered by an interrupt from the accelerometer/gyro chip at 200 times per second.
Best regards,
Bill

---

Roby

Oct 15, 2020, 10:01:38 AM10/15/20
to uavdevboard
Hello,

Is it possible to display the IMU locations on Google Earth at a rate of 40hz  instead of the current 4Hz version?

Regards,
Roby

Peter Hollands

Oct 15, 2020, 10:17:16 AM10/15/20
to uavdevboard
Roby,

Would you need centimeter resolution ? Or is the IMU travelling incredibly fast ?  Bill did code up centimeter resolution. I use it. It is not yet in master.

At 40hz the normal SERIAL_UDB_EXTRA data will exceed the standard serial device interface, and characters will drop.

So you would have to re-engineer the telemetry to cut down on characters transmitted. You would need to cut out the telemetry that flan.pyw does not need for Google Earth.  Flan.pyw should plot data at any frequency that it is presented with. e.g. If you move from 4Hz to 8Hz, I think that flan.pyw will seamlessly just plot the data.
At 40Hz for a normal RC flight, the model planes in Google Earth will overlap hugely. So it would look ugly and be hard to resolve visually. The time slider in GE does not have a very fine resolution.  And GE will get quite slow if too much data is thrown at it for a given flight.

Best wishes, Pete

Roby

Oct 15, 2020, 11:08:52 AM10/15/20
to uavdevboard
Pete,

I am looking forward at installing my UDB on a jet assisted flying wing. It can reach up to 35 m/sec velocity.  So at 40 Hz I have approximately 1 meter jumps.
Your guidelines on re-engineering the telemetry transmitted data is much appreciated.

Regards,
Roby