manual mode without gps

john andrews

Dec 3, 2019, 4:44:58 AM12/3/19
to uavdevboard
Hello Bill!

In the state machine in "state.c" file, to access the manualS state from acquiringS through "ent_manualS();" it needs to have established a gps lock within this condition:
"if (dcm_flags._.nav_capable && ((MAG_YAW_DRIFT == 0) || (magMessage == 7))) ".
Is there a way if i was to fly indoors where there is no Gps lock to fly in manual mode?

best wishes

Roby

Dec 3, 2019, 7:28:18 AM12/3/19
to uavdevboard
Hello John,

If you are asking how to fly in manual mode from the beginning with no GPS acquired at all, I think this would be impossible.
If the ailerons do not waggle you cannot switch to manual mode at all.
I may be wrong? (Pete, Bill ?..)

Regards,
Roby

Riccardo Kuebler

Dec 3, 2019, 7:43:38 AM12/3/19
to uavde...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

no, you can go fly with full authority.
The problem arise if for any reason ailerons waggle in flight and especially if for any reason you switch to stabilized.
In this case why just not fly without any autopilot?
Best regards,
Ric

Inviato da TypeApp

Guy-François MESNIL

Dec 4, 2019, 3:31:44 AM12/4/19
to uavdevboard
Hi John,
I love MatrixPilot because you can adapt the code as you need and there is a lot of already tested possibilities!
In case of flying a multirotor, you can have fun without GPS but you absolutely need the autopilot.
For that purpose I use, in options.h,  #define AIRFRAME_TYPE   AIRFRAME_QUAD
and modify state.c to replace the line that you have reported here by:
if ((dcm_flags._.nav_capable && ((MAG_YAW_DRIFT == 0) || (magMessage == 7))) || (AIRFRAME_TYPE == AIRFRAME_QUAD))
There is many others adaptations to do, like for example, adding in static void ent_manualS(void):
// modif GFM QuadCopter because heli cannot fly without gyro stab
#if (AIRFRAME_TYPE == AIRFRAME_QUAD)
state_flags._.pitch_feedback = 1;

Have fun using MatrixPilot,
Regards,
gfm

Roby

Dec 7, 2019, 5:43:53 AM12/7/19
to uavdevboard
Riccardo,

It seems that he wants the autopilot just to pass the radio signals to the servos.
So this seems to be troublesome if for any reason the autopilot initializes and waggles the ailerons in air?

Roby

Riccardo Kuebler

Dec 7, 2019, 6:42:10 AM12/7/19
to uavde...@googlegroups.com
Dear Roby,

unless offsets are hard recorded, you have to wait in any case for the first waggle. It happens few seconds after power on. You can take off before that, but then the offsets could be really out: rigorously manual flight only, then!

If  for any reason Matrixpilot will get a GPS lock, which could happen even indoor, then you will have GPS lock waggles and flying in a restricted area like indoor could lead to insane flight attitudes and little time to react, even if in manual mode.
I think Pete Holland has already proposed a GPS less solution in other posts.

Anyway I like to use UDB for what it's mainly meant: outdoor, fixed wings powered flight, especially for safety when flying FPV. Indoor and on slopes I fly manually, but I'm open to everything = : D

This is true for fixed wings.

Best regards,
Ric
---

Roby

Dec 7, 2019, 7:52:32 AM12/7/19
to uavdevboard
Dear Ric,

If there is no GPS lock you cannot switch to manual mode and takeoff. This is not an option. You have to wait until you get GPS lock. Just then you can take control.
This is how I understand it.

MatrixPilot is my favorite too !!

Thanks,
Roby
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to uavde...@googlegroups.com.

Riccardo Kuebler

Dec 7, 2019, 1:51:36 PM12/7/19
to uavde...@googlegroups.com
Roby, I guess we have to define flight modes. You always have manual control. Fortunately, I saved my planes several times thanks that, even with an in flight reboot. I always program on my tx a panic switch, to reach manual mode in no time.
You can't reach stabilized nor autonomous without GPS lock.
While in manual, controls are passed through, without any autopilot influence. No GPS lock needed.

Best regards,
Ric

Inviato da TypeApp