hex file is too big

7553...@qq.com

Mar 15, 2018, 9:12:25 PM3/15/18
to UAVCAN
Hi I use uavcan at stm32f103ze, gcc and keil4.7 IDE, but when I build a elf and hex, is too big ,elf is 3K, hex is 1K,  I do not why?

thinks

Pavel Kirienko

Mar 18, 2018, 5:58:53 PM3/18/18
to 7553...@qq.com, UAVCAN
Neither of these file formats are representative of the actual ROM footprint. ELF contains plenty of metadata about the program, whereas HEX is encoded in ASCII, thus it has a significant overhead. Please export your firmware into a flat binary and then check its size.

Besides, if you're referring to the program you published in your previous post, you seem to be using exceptions, heap allocation, and heavy STL entities such as std::string. Removing that will reduce the size of the program drastically.

Hope this helps!

Pavel.