UAVCAN GUI Tool Installation Errors

Jonathan Wittmer

Jul 10, 2018, 1:29:36 PM7/10/18
to UAVCAN
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to install the UAVCAN GUI Tool on the Raspberry Pi 3. As far as I know, no one has successfully done this yet. When I first tried to install it, there were complaints that I did not have/could not get pyqt5 and thus the front end would not work. I have since downloaded that library and that error is gone. However, When I run [CODE]sudo pip3 install git+https://github.com/UAVCAN/gui_tool@master[/CODE], the installation errors out at [CODE]Collecting pyyaml>3.10[/CODE] with an HTTP error 404.

Is this occurring because I am trying to install it on the Raspberry Pi or is there something else I am doing wrong here?

Thanks,
Jon

Jonathan Wittmer

Jul 10, 2018, 2:23:11 PM7/10/18
to UAVCAN
Sorry for the poor formatting above.

 Update: I manually installed the pyyaml package and the installation proceeded smoother, but I am still receiving errors. This time the errors are
http.client.RemoteDisconnected.

I tried running the installation several times and each time I get this error at a different spot. Also, there does not seem to be any pattern to when I get this error as sometimes it will happen earlier in the process than others. I assume that this is due to an issue with my internet connection.

If this is indeed the case, is there a way to manually download and install the GUI tool? I tried downloading the git directory and running
sudo python3 setup.py
 but I got a fatal error of
Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories)

Thanks,
Jon

Pavel Kirienko

Jul 11, 2018, 3:13:36 PM7/11/18
to jdw...@zips.uakron.edu, uav...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonathan,

In order to fix the last error, clone the whole git repository and then initialize the submodules. Plain zip archives won't work.

git clone --recursive https://github.com/UAVCAN/gui_tool

Hope this helps.

Pavel.

Jonathan Wittmer

Jul 12, 2018, 12:16:00 PM7/12/18
to UAVCAN
Hi Pavel,

I did as you suggested and that solved the errors I was getting. However, it seems that the GUI tool is not being installed. I checked /usr/local/bin for the program and I cannot find it. I ran setup.py from the main directory of the download after unzipping the folder. Is there another script that I am supposed to run to install the tool? Or maybe it got installed in a different directory?

Thanks,
Jon

Pavel Kirienko

Jul 12, 2018, 7:34:40 PM7/12/18
to jdw...@zips.uakron.edu, uav...@googlegroups.com
Can't reproduce; running "sudo pip3 install ." should be sufficient. On my machine it is installed as /usr/local/bin/uavcan_gui_tool:

pavel@pavel-workstation $ which uavcan_gui_tool
/usr/local/bin/uavcan_gui_tool

Try searching your drive for uavcan_gui_tool; if that didn't help, try reinstalling it from scratch and inspect the pip output for errors.

Pavel.

Jonathan Wittmer

Jul 13, 2018, 1:05:13 PM7/13/18
to UAVCAN
Ahh that is what I was missing. I was not using the "pip3 install" command. After running that, I was able to install the tool on my raspberry pi. I will be testing it out later today.

Thanks for the help.

Jon