Modify Standard Data Types

Jonathan Wittmer

Jun 4, 2018, 4:12:25 PM6/4/18
to UAVCAN
Is there a simple way to modify the built in UAVCAN data types? For example, I would like to change the equipment.esc.RawCommand data type to include more than 21 values. I understand that I may run into compatibility issues with other implementations of the UAVCAN protocol, but I don't want to go through the trouble of creating an entire custom data type to do the same thing as an existing type just with a larger array of values.

Thanks,
Jon

Jonathan Challinger

Jun 5, 2018, 2:06:34 AM6/5/18
to Jonathan Wittmer, UAVCAN
Hmm. Why limit this to 20? Let's just change the limit 64 or 128 or something?

Pavel Kirienko

Jun 5, 2018, 9:10:33 AM6/5/18
to Jonathan Challinger, Jonathan Wittmer, UAVCAN
You have several options:

1. Define a vendor-specific data type (it's dead simple to do really).
2. Use the Actuator types instead; up to 255 actuators are supported, up to 15 can be commanded atomically: https://github.com/UAVCAN/dsdl/tree/master/uavcan/equipment/actuator

I strongly suggest you to avoid changing any of the standard data types.

Pavel

Jonathan Wittmer

Jun 5, 2018, 9:34:55 AM6/5/18
to UAVCAN
Hi Pavel,

I would attempt either of those, but I am using OlliW's UC4H ESC node which currently does not support the actuator message. Also, I am using the Pixhawk which automatically send the equipment.esc.RawCommand message. Is it possible to change the limits for the esc.RawCommand data type on my boards? I found the definition file in the Pixhawk firmware: 1030.RawCommand.uavcan. Is it as simple as changing that file and then recompiling the Pixhawk firmware?

Thanks,

Jon

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 1:12 PM, Jonathan Wittmer <jdw...@zips.uakron.edu> wrote:
Is there a simple way to modify the built in UAVCAN data types? For example, I would like to change the equipment.esc.RawCommand data type to include more than 21 values. I understand that I may run into compatibility issues with other implementations of the UAVCAN protocol, but I don't want to go through the trouble of creating an entire custom data type to do the same thing as an existing type just with a larger array of values.

Thanks,
Jon

Pavel Kirienko

Jun 5, 2018, 9:37:31 AM6/5/18
to Jonathan Wittmer, UAVCAN
Well, then yes, it is as simple as you described.

Jonathan Wittmer

Jun 5, 2018, 9:45:45 AM6/5/18
to UAVCAN
Would I need to redefine the RawCommand file on the receiving nodes as well?

Pavel Kirienko

Jun 5, 2018, 10:05:03 AM6/5/18
to Jonathan Wittmer, UAVCAN
Of course.

Jonathan Wittmer

Jun 5, 2018, 11:39:18 AM6/5/18
to UAVCAN
As a different solution, is there currently any UAVCAN compatible servos or other OTS devices that support the actuator message? As you mentioned earlier, messing with the standard data types gets messy and is probably not a good idea.

Thanks,
Jon

Pavel Kirienko

Jun 5, 2018, 11:42:21 AM6/5/18