Re: Member requesting to join UAT users

Katie Frey

Jun 14, 2016, 4:25:14 PM6/14/16
to uat-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Baptiste Cecconi,

Thank you for your interest in the UAT!  I'd like to learn more about the projects you plan to use the UAT for, and also welcome your feedback on the terms and relations.

Best,
Katie

--
Katie E. Frey
John G. Wolbach Library, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics

"Surprising what you can dig out of books if you read long enough, isn’t it?"
- Rand al'Thor (in Robert Jordan's The Shadow Rising, Book Four of the Wheel of Time)

"This is insanity!"   "No, this is scholarship!"
- Yalb and Shallan (in Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radiance, Book Two of the Stormlight Archive)

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 4:21 PM, UAT users <uat-user...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Baptiste Cecconi (baptiste...@obspm.fr) has asked to join the UAT users group.
Message from Baptiste Cecconi

I'm working with IVOA (semantics group) and the Europlanet/VESPA project (solar and planetary virtual observatory). In those projects we would like to use the UAT for subject descriptions. I have also comments on certain words, which seems to have been awkwardly defined or with missing relations.

Start a new group. Visit the help centre.

Baptiste Cecconi

Jun 17, 2016, 7:38:14 AM6/17/16
to UAT users
Dear Katie,

We would like to use the UAT for our database descriptions. In the IVOA standard, the registry record of a data collection or of a service must contain Subject terms taken from a thesaurus. We would like to use the UAT for this.
More info on our project:

Concerning my comments on terms in the UAT, I've sent a comment last month using the feedback form, but I got no answer since then. Specifically, this was about the term "Magnetospheric radio emissions [Exoplanets]". This term is presented as a narrower term than "Gravitational microlensing [Exoplanets]". I can't really understand on what ground that link was made. My suggestion would be that there is a "Magnetospheric radio emissions" (outside the exoplanet context), as those radio emissions are observed and studied since the 50's... while exoplanetary radio emissions have not been detected yet.

Sincerely
Baptiste Ceccn

Katie Frey

Jun 17, 2016, 10:14:59 AM6/17/16
to uat-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Baptiste,

Thanks for these comments...and for the information about the feedback form.  I just tested it and it appears to have stopped working at some point without us realizing it.

Looking at the history of "Magnetospheric radio emissions [Exoplanets]" I have two questions:

1) Does "Magnetospheric radio emissions [Exoplanets]" make sense as a narrower term of "Gravitational microlensing [Exoplanets]" ?

2) If we were to add a term "Magnetospheric radio emissions" to the UAT, where in the hierarchy structure would you recommend it be added?

Best,
Katie

--
Katie E. Frey
John G. Wolbach Library, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
60 Garden Street, MS-56, Cambridge, MA 02138
email: kf...@cfa.harvard.edu   |   phone: 617-496-7579
http://astrothesaurus.org           |   http://library.cfa.harvard.edu/

"Surprising what you can dig out of books if you read long enough, isn’t it?"
- Rand al'Thor (in Robert Jordan's The Shadow Rising, Book Four of the Wheel of Time)

"This is insanity!"   "No, this is scholarship!"
- Yalb and Shallan (in Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radiance, Book Two of the Stormlight Archive)

Baptiste Cecconi

Jun 22, 2016, 5:57:59 PM6/22/16
to UAT users
Hello,

Le vendredi 17 juin 2016 16:14:59 UTC+2, Katie Frey a écrit :
Dear Baptiste,

Thanks for these comments...and for the information about the feedback form.  I just tested it and it appears to have stopped working at some point without us realizing it.

Good, at least my messages have been useful for this ! :-)

Looking at the history of "Magnetospheric radio emissions [Exoplanets]" I have two questions:

1) Does "Magnetospheric radio emissions [Exoplanets]" make sense as a narrower term of "Gravitational microlensing [Exoplanets]" ?

I don't see any sense, but I may be wrong. To me they are both possible detection methods for exoplanets, but there is no apparent hierarchical link between them.

2) If we were to add a term "Magnetospheric radio emissions" to the UAT, where in the hierarchy structure would you recommend it be added?

Good question, that I asked myself when writing to you in the first place.
First I would set "Planetary Atmosphere" and "Planetary Magnetosphere", as two different terms next to the other. I'm sure I've ever seen the magnetosphere defined as a layer of the atmosphere of a planet. Furthermore, all planetary body hosting a magnetic field has a magnetosphere, not only Earth. At the moment, in the UAT, only "Earth Atmosphere" has a "magnetosphere" child concept.

I would see something like this:
Solar System Astronomy : Planetary science : Planetary Magnetosphere : Magnetospheric radio emissions
Solar System Astronomy : Planetary science : Planetary Magnetosphere : Earth Magnetosphere : Magnetospheric radio emission

If you want to see at "working case", used for data description, have a look to the SPASE Region concept:

That's already a few changes proposed, and there may be other if we want to be consistent. I don't what is the modification and/or review process for those. Let me know how I can help.

Cheers
Baptiste