history analysis for tzdata Asia file

Alois Treindl

Sep 1, 2011, 10:41:13 AM9/1/11
to tzdata-...@googlegroups.com

I have gone through the tzdata Asia file and checked with other sources
how complete the pre-1070 history is.

I found a few weaknesses in some post-1970 zones, and some issues in
pre-1970.

The major amount of work to be done will be for
China
Indonesia
Vietnam

The others are all minor issues which can be resolved more quickly.

PS: the attached file has Unix style line-endings with LF

asia_hist.txt

Jules Descartes

Sep 1, 2011, 11:39:43 AM9/1/11
to tzdata history
you have forgotten Japan!

i have looked it up, please add:

# Japan
# is represented in standard tzdata zone Asia/Tokyo
# tzdata has DST between 1948 and 1951, while Shanks claims it
only
# for the US air force bases.
# Shanks has permanent GMT+8h timezone for Okinawa island, while
rest of
# Japan is GMT+9h. No other source mentions this, probably
wrong.
# -> research necessary

John

Sep 7, 2011, 6:47:48 PM9/7/11
to tzdata history
The Unix style line-endings with LF makes this particular file,
asia_hist.txt, also readable to Windows users.

You encouraged me to switch to Linux. I was just reading the
Wikipedia article about Dropbox. The article says, "The Windows
platform for Dropbox has 66.1% users, the Mac OS platform has 20.9%
users and Linux has 2.0% users." Try to involve contributors from
platforms other than Linux.

This tzdata history is a long-term project to which I will be happy to
contribute when I have finished some other short-term development.

Regards,

John