French timezone history

aloist

Feb 5, 2012, 10:50:37 AM2/5/12
to tzdata history
It has been a while since I found time to deal with French timezone
history. In the past few months I have ordered quit a few books with
maps of wartime front boundaries, both of French and of German origin.
While most of them contain some local details which help to clarify
timezone boundaries during the critical 1940 - 1945 period, they ae
also full of contradications and none is complete.

Yesterday I met Paris astrologer Didier Geslain, a kind and gentle
man, and he showed me some additional maps and an article in the
magazine L'astrologue I had not seen before. Most important, he lent
me the book published in 2006 by Guy Mayeres, which has what we need:
a detailed and clear representation of French timezone history. Its
title is L'Astologie Confrontee aux Régimes Horaires des Zones Occupes
en France de 1914 a 1945 (Astrology confronted wth time regulations in
the occupied zons of France from 1914 - 1945). I have ordered the book
now from Amazon, for my own library.

aloist

Jul 9, 2020, 8:27:00 AM7/9/20
to tzdata history
I have revised French timezone history and found that besides Europe/Paris we need 25 zones to represent the full
time zone history of France for the pre-1970 period.

I attach the file tzhist_france.txt which describes these zone.

A detailed description of which towns belong to which zone will follow at a later time. The task is tricky due to fast moving front lines during the German occupation of France in WW2.
tzhist_france.txt