source for Califonrnia Palm Springs 1946

Alois Treindl

Sep 8, 2011, 3:27:27 PM9/8/11
to tzdata-...@googlegroups.com
I attach a copy of two newspaper articles from 1946.
1946calfornia_palm_springs.jpg

Zoidiasoft Tech

Sep 8, 2011, 4:16:36 PM9/8/11
to tzdata-...@googlegroups.com
Also the town of Vidal, California observes Arizona time (Mountain Standard
Time) year around from what I've seen personally over the last couple of
years. I have no idea of when this took place or if it has always been the
case that it never observed Pacific time. There was another town near Yuma
on the California side (Winterhaven?) that does the same that was posted to
the Olson tz list a few months ago.

Sincerely,
Curtis Manwaring

Alois Treindl

Sep 8, 2011, 4:56:00 PM9/8/11
to tzdata-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Curtis.

I found this corroboration:
http://ontimezone.com/exceptions.php
--- quote
CA: Winterhaven California, in deference to its proximity to Yuma AZ,
observes Mountain Standard Time year round. This means that (like AZ)
Winterhaven does not observe Daylight Saving time. So this puts
Winterhaven ahead of California by one hour (in sync with Arizona)
during Standard time - in the Fall and Winter. And in sync with both CA
and AZ during Spring and Summer (Daylight Saving time). The dividing
line of this observed boundary is locally considered to be the "All
American Canal".

CA: Earp/Vidal California, in deference to its proximity to Parker AZ,
observes Mountain Standard Time year round. This means that Earp and the
surrounding area does not observe Daylight Saving time. So this puts
Earp ahead of CA by one hour (in sync with AZ) during Standard time - in
the Fall and Winter. And in sync with both CA and AZ during Spring and
Summer (Daylight Saving time). The dividing line of this observed
boundary is estimated, but it is reported to extend to somewhere between
Vidal and Vidal Junction.
--- end quote

What we still need is information about when this has started, or
whether it was forever like this.

Can you search?

Regards
Alois

Zoidiasoft Tech

Sep 8, 2011, 5:11:55 PM9/8/11
to tzdata-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alois,

I'm in Las Vegas at the moment, but am thinking of going to the AFA
conference in Phoenix, AZ this Sept. I might have the opportunity to drive
through that area in between and ask the Vidal locals about this.

Sincerely,
Curtis Manwaring