Fwd: Texas timezone history

Jules Descartes

Sep 8, 2011, 2:21:24 PM9/8/11
to tzdata history

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jules Descartes <descart...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 8:20 PM
Subject: Texas timezone history
To: t...@elsie.nci.nih.gov

I have reviewed the Texas timezone history before 1970.

I attach my result, which proposes two additional Texas zones America/Houston and Amerca/Amarillo.

I think there is an error in the current tzdata/northamerica file regarding Texas. It claims that Texas follows America/Chicago.
But this is not the case as Texas had no DST in 1936, as Chicago did.

Please check my data and my typing, as I am a bad typist.

texas_hist.txt

txng...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2019, 3:13:03 AM9/17/19
to tzdata history
Thanks Alois and Jules! This matches my recollection and experience. I grew up between San Angelo and Sweetwater and remember my grandparents speaking about when the panhandle was in the same timezone as El Paso.

Some day I would like to see Jules' proposal enacted.

Since he asked, I checked Jules typing and it is fine with only very minor items. The town near San Angelo it Sweetwater (not sweatwater) and the dropped letters where "stating 1919" is "starting 1919", "Unit States" is "United States", and "movs the Panhandle" is "moved"

Ron