Kali-linux-2021.1-installer-amd64.iso Download

Roser Blazado

Jun 30, 2024, 8:03:07 AM (2 days ago) Jun 30
to tysanbitee

The latest version of Kali Linux 2021.1 has been released. In this blog post I will show you how to install Kali Linux 2021.1 in VMware Workstation 16 which is the latest version of VMware Workstation. If you are using earlier versions of VMware Workstation, I recommend, you switch to the latest version of VMware Workstation which is Version 16.

To install the Kali Linux, we will have to first get the installer ISO image file. You can get it by visiting the official download page. Please download the 64 bit or 32 bit image depending on the system you have.

You can find the downloaded image file in the downloads folder, if you have not changed the default settings. The filename would be something like kali-linux-2021.1-installer-amd64.iso and would be around 4.0 GB. If you have downloaded through torrent, the ISO file will be downloaded in a folder, folder name would be something like kali-linux-2021.1-installer-amd64.iso.

To launch the wizard to create a new virtual machine, Click on Create a New Virtual Machine or File -> New Virtual Machine. Welcome to the new Virtual Machine Wizard dialog box will open. Select typical and click on next.

This is where you get a chance to select the way virtual machine will be created. Typical is predefined or mostly the defaults. Custom is where you get to set advanced options such as compatibility with older Virtual Machines, SCSI controller type, etc. We will go with the default options. Select Typical and click Next.

In this dialog box you will have to browse to the downloaded ISO file and click next. Generally, VMware Workstation detects the OS automatically and initiates what they call as the Easy Install. But in the case of Kali Linux this is not the case and you will see a warning(yellow triangle). Please ignore that and click next to continue.

In this dialog box, you will be asked to provide the name of the virtual machine. You can provide any name you like. You can also change the location of the virtual machine. By default it is place in the Documents/Virtual Machine folder. Leaving it as the default is also fine.

In this dialog box you will be asked to select a Location. Please select a location and continue. This option sets your Location in the Kali Linux Operating system. later on, you will be able to set the time zone based on the location you choose here.

In this dialog box you will be asked to select the keyboard layout. Please select a Keyboard layout using the arrow keys and click continue. This option sets your Keyboard in the Kali Linux Operating system. By default it is set to American English.

In this dialog box you are see the summary of your disk partition. Select the Finish Partitioning and Write changes to disk which should be selected by default. All you have to do is to click continue.

Installation will continue and now you will see Installation complete dialog box. Click continue to finalize the installation and wait for the VM to reboot. After reboot you will see the boot loader screen.

In VMware Player 16, VMware tools gets installed automatically. Manual steps for installing VMware tools is not required. You should automatically be able to switch to the full screen mode. Try to switch to full screen first. It should work, If not, follow the below steps, else ignore.

Underneath a boring IT professional lies a passionate student of computer science. I love computers and this blog is about everyday computer issues that a common man faces. Through this blog I try to reconnect with my long forgotten self.

Hi, thank you for the comprehensive article
I translated your article into Persian along with several other articles and also mentioned the link to your source
نصب کالی لینوکس در VMware
best regard

Yes you can update it. Also, to be on the safer side, please make a copy of the Kali Linux VM machine folder. Its the same you provided during installation. if anything goes wrong, you will have a backup copy. To can open the VM from the backup, open the .vmx file.

Are you connecting to Kali Linux using wifi or Cable. WiFi can be a problem some times. Connect through cable and check the internet connection in Kali. Open the browser and open some page to see if it loads.

VMware 9 is too old. Start using VMware 14, the latest one. Try to login as user root and password you set during installation. if you have forgotten the password, you will have to start the process again.

I am not sure about the exact cause. Something is eating your memory and system is running out of it.
How much memory did you allocate while turning on the Kali VM. Can you increase it to 2GB and try again.
Have you enabled Inter VT in your system?
Try that and let me know how it goes.

I have Kali 2007-1 installed on VMware workstation. I want to upgrade to Kali 2017-3(latest version)
How can I do it without having to remove the Kali or the VMWare.
I am sure there is a line of code I can use to upggrade.

Hmm still having window scaling issues after installing vmware tools. Was able to scale/Drag the guest window to whatever size, now after the dist upgrade it can only be set in the system display settings. Anyone have a fix plx respond.

May be you are not using the latest version of VMware tools. Kali Linux 2017 is based on Debian 8. Please check the version of installed vmware tools by using the command vmware-toolbox-cmd -v in terminal. Reinstall the latest version of VMware tools using the command sudo apt-get install open-vm-tools-desktop fuse

I dont know what I enjoyed more, the tutorial or your bio paragraph. Haha. Thanks for breaking it down in a simple and easy to follow format. I have been playing arou d with Kali for a little over a month through a live usb boot and also on my android through vnc. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Thought I would give this a shot and see if it fixes the issues I am having with the other 2 before I just go ahead and run a dual boot install on my machine. Thanks again man. Be heard but not seen.

Kali Linux is a Debian-based Linux distro designed for digital forensics and penetration testing. This great OS is maintained and funded by Offensive Security. With it comes approximately 600 pre-installed penetration-testing programs formerly known as tools.

It was developed by Mati Aharoni and Devon Kearns of Offensive Security through the rewrite of BackTrack. BackTrack was their previous information security testing Linux distribution based on Knoppix.

The system supports both 32-bit and 64-bit systems. As such, you need not worry about whether your system will be compatible or not. You only need to download the correct ISO image, and you will be good to go.

This article will show you how to set up and install Kali Linux in the latest VMware Workstation Player (player 16). This is one of the best ways to use Kali, as it is completely separated from the host OS, allowing you to modify and test the software without impacting your host Operating System.

With this software, one can create and run an unlimited number of virtual machines. However, Vmware is not open-source software, and it is only free for personal, non-commercial use. Nonetheless, if you are looking for an open-source virtualization tool, you should try VirtualBox.

After installing the Vmware workstation, let us go ahead and install Kali Linux on our VMWare. To this point, we are sure you have downloaded the Kali Linux ISO image. If you have not, please do so before going on with the article.

Under normal circumstances, you will find your downloaded file in the Downloads folder. Nevertheless, the file will be located in the folder you directed your downloads to for those who changed the default settings. The filename should contain something like kali-Linux-2021.1-installer-amd64.iso, which should be around 4.0GB; if not, you will encounter issues while installing the file. If you downloaded the file using torrent software, the ISO file would be in a folder like kali-linux-2021.1-installer-amd64.iso.

Here, you will be required to select the Guest Operating System. Choose Linux in the guest operating system section and Debian 10.x 64-bit or 32-bit depending on your machine as the version and click next.

Next, you will be asked to select a language. Here, you will choose a suitable language and click continue. This option sets your machine to use the desired language. For our course, we will go with the default English.

A setup will then prompt you to generate the password for the created user. Here, you will create your preferred password that you will be able to remember easily. So, remember the username and password you created during the installation because these are the credentials you will use to log in.

After going through all those essential steps needed to set up Kali Linux on a VMware machine, let us rush through root user creation that many fail to know. This primarily helps users who, for instance, want to allow the VM machine to access wireless networks.

If you remember well, the only account created during the installation stage is the user account. This, therefore, means that you have to set up the root account and a password for the root account. To do this, follow the outlined steps:

After that, you will notice that your Kali Linux machine is not in full-screen mode. This is because your VM machine lacks VMware tools. Therefore, this means that we will have to install the VMware tools. However, this will not be the case for VMware 16 users since the system will automatically adapt to the full-screen mode without installing the VMware tools.

Kali Linux is a great OS that offers countless system tools to explore. This article has diversely covered all the steps needed to have this OS installed in your VM machine. First, we covered the installation steps of the VMware application, which we are sure that you are comfortable with as of now.

After that, we downloaded the ISO image before firing our VM machine to install the ISO file. After installing the Image, we rebooted the machine and installed the VMware tools to help the machine display in full-screen mode. Thereafter, we created a root user account plus the root user password, which we successfully created.

d3342ee215