[Tyrs] Plugins and edit box discussion

Nicolas Paris

May 31, 2011, 5:07:46 AM5/31/11
to Tyrs
A discussion started with three of us, on the issue tracker, it might
interrest persons who does not follow them.
I answer it after quotes.

diegoxter:

Anyway, how about a keybind that create a box, you paste the url and
that box call the tinyurl (or any url shortener service) api and the
result (the url shortened) gets pasted in a tweet box ready to be
edited and tweeted? Just an idea from a non thinking head :D
------------
nicolas:

Well, I thought about something a bit different, here the thing:

I want something plugin based, as if I use a url shorter that you don't
like, you may easely write (or ask to someone) another one. The idea,
it's when you write your tweet, and press, ctrl-wathever, it will be a
callback that parse urls, shorter them, and replace to the current
tweet, and you still able to edit it.

Not really easy to explain it.

Anyway, I have some rewrite to do with this edit box, I don't specialy
like it.
-------------
diegoxter:

That's a cool idea yeah, i was thinking about telling you about plugins
(something a bit more personal, like a event-based notifier or the like
). About the edit box, it is bothering the TL appearing there on the
middle (personal opinion) It couldn't be personalized to be on the top
or the bottom?

I'm a frustrated artist, so here it goes an image:
http://img864.imageshack.us/i/tyrs.png/
---------------
nicolas:
there is some ideas there, I'll try something for it.
----------------
bacardi55:
If I can take part in this debate, i'd rather see the box on top of the
TL that in the bottom (I think it's not user friendly)

About the box, I agree that right in the middle is maybe not the best
place, there is another solution maybe, it's a "one liner IRC like",
but I still like this box. It should be possible to do both and let the
user choice. hotot have is box on top, pino on bottom, so i guess both
are possible.

About plugins stuff, I would love to do them, but I'm not sure how to
do it, so i'll need to find some programs who doing it, and read some
code I guess. If you know some small programs that implements plugins,
it might be useful, I thought about weechat who does it, but it's big
code to read, and in C, still give some idea. Any ideas are welcome.

So it might take a while to do some plugins, but i'm sure it will be
much fun !

Diego Jose Torrealba Bravo

May 31, 2011, 6:39:28 AM5/31/11
to ty...@googlegroups.com

2011/5/31 Nicolas Paris <nicola...@gmail.com>

About the box, I agree that right in the middle is maybe not the best
place, there is another solution maybe, it's a "one liner IRC like",
but I still like this box. It should be possible to do both and let the
user choice. hotot have is box on top, pino on bottom, so i guess both
are possible.

About plugins stuff, I would love to do them, but I'm not sure how to
do it, so i'll need to find some programs who doing it, and read some
code I guess. If you know some small programs that implements plugins,
it might be useful, I thought about weechat who does it, but it's big
code to read, and in C, still give some idea. Any ideas are welcome.

So it might take a while to do some plugins, but i'm sure it will be
much fun !

Well, about the edit box, I keep thinking is not so user friendly to have it there on the middle, that's why I said to put it either on top or the bottom of the screen, but and IRC style edit box (or even a IRC style TL) could also be an option, it's just user choice, the three options (on top, on bottom or IRC styled) should be available for user to choice. Either way, the box-styled tyrs is awesome...
About plugins, i know two twitter clients (both of them in python) that have plugin implementation of url shorteners and nick autocompletition : Hotot and turpial.
Maybe you could look at the code and choice which one is the best way to do both of this features Nicolas.