spam filter

Gio Bacareza

Jan 18, 2010, 7:00:50 AM1/18/10
to typhoo...@googlegroups.com
we need a spam filter for this group.

--
cheers,

Gio

Isa

Jan 19, 2010, 1:21:22 AM1/19/10
to typhoo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Gio,

According to my research, one helpful solution is to
turn on moderation for new users' posts. See this blog for details:

http://www.theopenhouseproject.com/2009/09/02/end-google-group-spam/

However I also learned that spammers have found ways to make their emails appear to come from legitimate Google Groups members (ie, email spoofing), so this may only be a temporary solution. But I haven't found anything else, besides move to another service as some groups have.

The fundamental problem is that Google decided not to use its spam filter technology (the one that works incredibly well for Gmail) for Google Groups. Maybe this will change in future...

hope that helps.
Isa