How to retrieve comments from a blog

de di

Apr 20, 2011, 5:40:45 AM4/20/11
to TypePad Developers Network
Hi,

I'm trying to have all comments (not posts) forwarded to another
system. I tried:

- feed subscription api; it seems to only forward posts

- /blog/blogid/comments/@published.json: even there is the start-index
parameter is not consistent because as published status is changed for
some comments, that parameter is re-calculated

Does anyone have solved the same problem? Any hints about how to
proceed.

Many thanks in advance!

Martin Atkins

Apr 20, 2011, 12:32:23 PM4/20/11
to typepad-d...@googlegroups.com

de di,

As you noticed, the start-index mechanism does not work for
synchronization purposes because there is no way to determine if you
missed a comment because one of the comments was removed from the list
for some reason while you were fetching.

Unfortunately we don't really have a dedicated system for exporting
comments right now. The API endpoint you mentioned is designed to drive
a comment management interface rather than a synchronization capability.

My best suggestion is to do an export to MTIF, a simple text-based
format for representing blog content, and then consume this result. This
won't allow you to consume new comments without doing a new export, of
course. MTIF is documented here:
http://www.sixapart.com/movabletype/docs/mtimport.html

I'd be interested to hear more details about what you're trying to do;
we may be able to adjust the API in future to provide something closer
to what you need.

Thanks.
Martin

de di

Apr 26, 2011, 10:59:51 AM4/26/11
to TypePad Developers Network
Hi Martin,

last Wednesday I was talking with bchoated on irc, and we come to the
following conclusions:

- I want to have all comments (not posts) redirected to our external
system

- the feed subscribe api only redirects user posts, so we cannot use
it

- using API functionality, (blogs/id/comments/@published endpoint, or /
assets.json?filter.asset-rank=subordinate&filter.blog=xx), we can only
get published comments, not waiting-to-be-moderated comments, which is
a roadblock for us

- using API functionality, we have to implement some intelligence in
our side to just perform 'get-the-new-ones' comments, since the given
parameters (start-index) is not consistent between calls

- interestingly, the assets.json call required to provide the q
parameters in the call, but it can be blank, thus providing a 'give me
all' functionality; this side effect is very useful for us in case we
still go on with typepad, so please do not fix it ....

Thus, in order to further consider using typepad, we'd need:

- access to waiting-to-be moderated comments using the API

- a better way (a cursor?, feed subscription working on comments?) to
retrieve just new comments being posted.

Many thanks for your help and Brad's help.