Typemock Isolator pros and cons

andreister

Jan 12, 2009, 7:16:20 AM1/12/09
to TypeMock
Hi, please have a look at my take on pros and cons for Typemock.

Do you agree/disagree? Anything else you might consider as a pro/con?

Pros:
1. Extremely powerful. Can mock static methods, sealed and private
classes, does not need Dependency Injection to work.
2. Type safe.
3. Simple API.

Cons:
1. Not open source and some features available in paid version only.
2. Cannot mock fields.
3. Cannot mock mscorlib types.

andreister

Jan 12, 2009, 7:18:05 AM1/12/09
to TypeMock
(by typesafe I mean you *can* write type safe mocks - not in
Reflective Mocks though)

Paulio

Jan 12, 2009, 7:26:03 AM1/12/09
to TypeMock
I believe you can mock fields since v4.2

andreister

Jan 13, 2009, 6:07:44 PM1/13/09
to TypeMock
Opps, true.

However, with AAA this one throws System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException
in ArrangeActAssert recorder:

[Test, Isolated]
public void TestFoo()
{
var foo = Isolate.Fake.Instance<Foo>();
Isolate.WhenCalled(() => foo.Boo).WillReturn(10);

Assert.AreEqual(10, foo.Boo);
}

public class Foo
{
public int Boo;

andreister

Jan 19, 2009, 10:35:43 AM1/19/09
to TypeMock
It appears that AAA Isolator does *not* support mocking fields - only
properties.

Paulio

Jan 19, 2009, 11:35:10 AM1/19/09
to TypeMock
I don't have 4.2+ but...
http://blog.typemock.com/2008/04/mocking-fields-why-it-was-implemented.html

andreister

Jan 21, 2009, 6:55:49 AM1/21/09
to TypeMock
As per

http://www.typemock.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1126&sid=a00ca12b36da776b35cc731e7499538a

"..Isolator AAA does not support faking fields - only properties..."