New alternative to typematrix ?

Gabi A.

Apr 22, 2022, 5:01:39 PM4/22/22
to TypeMatrix User Group
Hello, I just discovered this and wanted to share, maybe some could be interested :)

Please say so if talking about other brands is not welcome, but I found recently this company's croudfunding for a keyboard, and they're planning to release a version with an ortholinear layout.

https://www.kisskissbankbank.com/en/projects/cairn-mesa-key/tabs/description#:~:text=the%20ortholinear%20cairn%20mesa%20%7C%20key
(campaign seems to be running until the 26th of april)

It's expensive, but made in France, mechanical, whit a backlit ultra low key profile and a numpad, fully repairable, customizable and firmware reprogrammable! (with open source and open hardware licences)

The main advantage I see over something like the ergodox ez ( https://ergodox-ez.com/ ) is the compact form and "more standard" arrangement.

From the campaign page, it would look like this (with a standard french layout):
Keyborigligthgooglegroup.jpg

But it seems not many people have followed onto the ortho layout, so this may take a bit of time still. Since they say they are still in a late design phase for it and welcoming user contribution, I'm planning to offer them to do this arrangement (it would be close enough to the typematrix for me - it could be used with any layout of course, it just would have taken me ages to remove the french one from the picture):
Keybcorrligthgooglegroup.jpg

The company is planning on the long run to sell a repairable laptop made of "removable by hand parts", and this is the "keyboard" part, as well designed to be a standalone keyboard (I already knew about them actually, but nearly missed this keyboard campaign): https://www.cairn-devices.eu/

Anyways, sorry for the long message, and I hope this can inspire some of you :)
Message has been deleted

Gabi A.

Apr 22, 2022, 6:38:45 PM4/22/22
to TypeMatrix User Group
The price for their "Roraima" with the ortholinear arrangement is 400€ currently; so yes, it's a lot..

(by the way, I'm testing the tags, tell me if it's not right)