Why does a dvorak keyboard not start in Dvorak mode?

Antonios Hadjigeorgalis

Oct 10, 2016, 11:40:47 AM10/10/16
to TypeMatrix User Group
ls there anyway to set up the keyboard to start in Dvorak mode by default?  My keyboard has the keys arranged in Dvorak so I had expected it would be the default setting.

I can use the US-Dvorak layout on my computer which works correctly and gives me the desired behavior.

Stu L

Oct 15, 2016, 10:38:14 PM10/15/16
to TypeMatrix User Group
When you order a kb, the screen says:
Choose your 2030 Keyboard
(Choose from any of our 2030 keyboard models. They only differ in the labeling.)    ----->>>>  note that - only Labeling differs !

Electronically, all 2030s are the same, they all start in qwerty no matter how the key tops are arranged.  You can take the tops off and arrange them in any way you like.  With autohotkey, you could even have a totally alphabetic layout if you so desired and you could make it look that way too.

The engineers could have built in a setting whereby it would start up in the last used setting ... but they chose not to.  It would likely cost more because it would require built in non-volatile memory and firmware to add that functionality.

This way is simple, they all come the same with a set of tops and you can make whatever you need.  I had a 2030dv fail once and needed a replacement.  They didn't have one labelled dv in stock at the time, so they sent me a blank one and I simply replaced all the tops with the ones from the failed board.  ;-)

True, you can set the computer to output dvorak, but the keyboard itself must be in qw mode because that's what the windows driver assumes and puts dv on top of it.  The drawback is that you don't get the nice dvorak light for bragging rights and you also lose the capability to easily use the kb in qw mode - you would need to do one of those alt-shift or whatever it is (long time since I used that) to shift drivers inside the computer.  The 2030 has the capability to use dv, 102, 106, mac, and colemack built in.  No messing with windows settings.  And no hassle - I only restart 2 or 3 times per month (every 2nd Tuesday for WU and a couple others just for fun - with an SSD, it boots to desktop in 4 seconds and to end of startup group in 15!  Unallocates all memory in the process so any leaks get fixed.

/me = dvorak only since 1991; 2030 only since 2004.  ;-)