Rearranging the layout physically

FB

Sep 5, 2018, 7:35:44 PM9/5/18
to TypeMatrix User Group
Hi,

I bought typematrix 2030 from ebay with Dvorak layout. I tried to adjust and learn but this learning curve isn't very convenient at the time being. I got a qwerty cover but I dislike the feel of the keyboard with the cover.

Hope this is question doesn't sound too idiotic, I was wondering if it is inadvisable to rearrange the layout from DVORAK to QWERTY by popping up the keys and reapplying them.

Best,
FB

alancoman

Sep 5, 2018, 7:55:21 PM9/5/18
to TypeMatrix User Group
I can not believe what you are saying !!!!!
You are making a big mistake. The Dvorak keyboard is the best. It is so convenient and amazing, it will change your life. You can write lengthy emails effortlessly.
I think that changing to DV in 2005 really changed my life. I can type very quickly, and have spare time.
I have started my own business doing iPhone apps in Swift and because I use Dvorak, I can work for hours, no problem. I have no clue how Qwerty people do it. It's like running a marathon with a large backpack and office shoes.

You just have to be a bit more tenacious when you start.
In my case, what I did was to switch from Qwerty to Dvorak when I finished college and I was between jobs. I used only DV for about 2 weeks. I'm telling you, after 2 weeks of DV, you will not want to switch back.
You need to do everything in DV for this period of time. I did not have a Typematrix then, I bought my first one in 2009 and I love TM. I really do. I'm using a 2030 right now.

The way I learned DV was to type groups of letters abc abc abc abc....
Once I got abc, I did def def def and so on until I could do abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz etc.

DO NOT switch back to Qwerty. Give DV a chance and trust me your life will change for the better.

PS: I could never write this kind of thing on Qwerty. Actually, I am so fast at typing, I always wait for the qwerty ppl when I chat with them...
I hope this helps. Good luck!

FB

Sep 5, 2018, 8:31:50 PM9/5/18
to TypeMatrix User Group
Hi Alan,

thank you for your reply and for sharing your experience. I wanted to try it out myself, as I think this is mostly a subjective choice (have a look at this, btw — http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/001872088202400502

Above all, it's not convenient for the moment (really busy with both studies and a job...). But I do like the keyboard build, comfort and feel.

Best,
FB

James Gatannah

Sep 6, 2018, 5:49:36 PM9/6/18
to TypeMatrix User Group
It *is* a time sink at first. You're the only one who can decide when/if it's worth it.

For me, it's all about the ergonomics.

I don't really think I'm any faster with DV than I was with qwerty. I suspect I may be a little slower.

But my fingers move a lot less over the course of a day, and it's a balanced motion: it tends to be mostly left-right-left-right. People who watch me type get fascinated because it looks very different than what they're used to seeing. I've had a few people tell me it looks like a spider walking.

When I absolutely have to switch back to qwerty, it takes about 4 hours for carpal tunnel to leave me crippled for days.

Personally, I would not try to move the keys around physically. I don't trust myself not to break something. And my parents forced me to learn to touch-type as soon as I sat down at a keyboard, so I really don't care what labels are on the keys. Well, unless I have to switch back to qwerty. It takes a while for muscle memory to switch back.

Good luck!

FB

Sep 7, 2018, 11:17:36 AM9/7/18
to TypeMatrix User Group
Hi Alan,

thank you for your reply.

Yes, I also suspect it might be better for the ergonomics than for building speed...

Thanks for both answers, they gave me second thoughts about messing up the layout. I think I'll hold on to it and a give it a more serious try once I'm more available.

Kind regards,
FB

FB

Sep 7, 2018, 12:31:19 PM9/7/18
to TypeMatrix User Group
Sorry, I meant James...

Stu L

Oct 12, 2018, 8:55:00 PM10/12/18
to TypeMatrix User Group
When you use a 2030DV, it's an essential skill to be able to remove the keytops, to clean under them if needed, and replace them. In the process you can rearrange them if you so desire. But Dvorak is best; when I switched in 1991, it took me only 2 months to regain my former qwerty speed. Here's a page that will show you how to take your keytops off: http://www.typematrix.com/schools2/about_us_tips_for_users.php